Business Credit Card Questions (Chase)

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by richinaz, Mar 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Until last year I never had a business, but now I have a LLC and a rental property (if it matters it is in AZ and I'm living in MD). There is also income (i.e., someone renting my property). I applied for a Chase business card and they want more information:

1. Name of your company - Well that one is easy and I'm not sure why they are asking again.
    2. Verification of tax ID # - In my case it is just my SSN. What do they want for verification?
    3. Proof of business address - I'm guessing that is my rental property address. What kind of proof do they need? A copy of the signed lease?
    I was going to call them up today but, of course, they are only open from 8-5pm M-F. I haven't done this before so if anyone has some helpful tips I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Rich

2. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    2. If you put your SSN, then your business, whether you have one or not, is a Sole Proprietorship. If you wanted to actually use your LLC for the app, then I think you should have put your FEIN.

richinaz likes this.
  3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would put my own address as business address. That you business (you if it is a sole proprietorship) owns a rental property is not relevant, and you don't want Chase to mail anything to your rental property.

richinaz and Pete like this.
  4. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most single-member LLCs do NOT have (or need) a separate tax ID no. And there is no requirement that you even have an LLC or ony other type of formal entity - - sole proprietorship is just fine (although may not be advisable for tax, liability and other reasons).

richinaz likes this.
  5. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I didn't think I needed a tax ID # if I'm the sole member but just wanted to double check. I'll try and call them on Monday and see if I can make any headway.

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should have a separate EIN for your business - even if it's a sole member LLC. The business address matters on their side. I was asked for supporting information because i was incorporated in one state and had an address in another.

SC Flier likes this.
  7. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    LLCs like OP's are typically not incorporated, but act as a sole proprietorship with pass-thru taxation using the owner's SSN. Mine is set up the same way. I've had no problem getting business credit cards from AmEx, but I have not applied for one from Chase yet. Amex was fine with my SSN as the EIN and my home address as business address.

richinaz likes this.
  8. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    By definition, and LLC is "incorporated" (actually, it is "organized" - - it is a creature of statute and not a sole proprietorship). But it is a pass-through entity for taxation purposes. At any rate, best if you get your liability and tax advice from somewhere other than a travel IBB. ;)

SC Flier likes this.