Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by shadab, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. shadab

shadab Active Member

Status Points:
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has good seats on DEL-EWR but the service is very so-so. I would say try for Swiss (DEL-ZRH-ORD/JFK/EWR-STL) - it is difficult to get seats to/from the US but certainly worth a shot. Their product in J is great.

YULtide and SC Flier like this.
  3. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had n:)thing but good experiences in former CO (now UA) business class cabins like what serves the DEL-EWR route. I find the lie-flat seats the food and the service to be quite good. I wouldn't hesitate to book DEL-EWR-STL because of the service. There is, however, only one mainline (737) flight per day EWR-STL on at least the recent days I checked. The rest of the many flights are served by ERJ-145 aircraft.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at LH options as well. Easy enough to connect through FRA. usually easier to find a seat on LH than LX, and the "soft" product on LH is tough to beat.

5. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It your planned trip date is quite close and don't mind really long-haul flight, you might want to look for the DEL-SIN-EWR on SQ for way much better service.

daemon14 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    nothing like a 20hr hop!:)

daemon14 likes this.
  7. dunnboat

dunnboat New Member

Status Points:
  8. letsgetawaybaby22

letsgetawaybaby22 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi shadab!
    I dont know if you have enough miles for First class because United's First class is GREAT. However their business class is nothing special, if you haven't traveled first class before the difference is grand- business class is definitely closer to coach then first class if your comparing the differences. Not to knock business class however when I come across low miles in first I never pass up the chance to fly first class! Tip: sometimes the website doesn't show low mileage but if you call the airline they can sometimes find routing you cannot or that doesn't show on the website. As far as business goes i would recommend Singapore Airlines their business class is nothing short of amazing. And if you decide to go united try to get first class, if you are short a few miles you can usually buy them
    On United's website!!

Hope this helps! Happy Travels!

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found LX F and J seats to be very plentiful on their DEL and BOM flights, and those are A330 routes with new F and new J. I think LX J > LH J.

However, getting to ZRH can be a problem. Connecting through FRA means an extra flight and (correct me if I'm wrong) immigration into the Schengen Area.

BOM and DEL are PMCO airports served by 2-class 777s that do not have UA Global First but CO BusinessFirst. Also, UA charges 80K one-way for F USA-India, so the OP is more than just "a few miles short" for F, and buying miles from UA would be highly impractical.

However, I do agree that looking for SQ J is a good option, since they've recently opened up saver partner redemptions in non-A380 F and all J. But due to the timings of inbound SQ flights to SFO, LAX, and EWR from SIN/HKG/ICN/NRT, a connection to STL may require an overnight or another connection within the USA. If you can secure SQ segments in J for DEL-SIN-USA (especially on the nonstop SIN-EWR or SIN-LAX), I'd take it and gladly get a hotel in my stopover city to enjoy the superior SQ service.

I have an itinerary starting next month that includes UA Global First and SQ J and I'm looking forward more to the SQ segments. Frankly, the reviews of service on UA F have been appalling, but it's all that was available and the trip also includes LX F/FRA FCT and TG F/BKK Spa, which will hopefully make the extra 30K miles worth it.

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points: