Business Class booking

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by titan151, Jun 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. titan151

titan151 Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone actually booked an award reservation on Emirates for a date in the future? My girlfriend and I are both 75K and were trying to do an international trip (business class at a minimum). Were finding it impossible to go anywhere. For example, they list flight options to BKK in November on Emirates but when you try to purchase them they say there is no availability. We tried changing the dates and 3-4 times we tried to book these reservations through Alaska via the phone service. I know we have tried to buy these tix online 30-40 times. Most of the time they simply said if you cannot book it, it's not available. One time an Alaska rep actually pointed out how this lack of availability was a problem and there were "working" on it.

So my GF and I have decided to go somewhere else, maybe Europe or some place in New Zealand but we cannot find any business class service there at this point using award reservations through Alaska. The biggest problem is that even if you can find the flight you want, you actually have to try and buy it before you realize that it doesn't actually exist.

So I ask this question, has anyone successfully booked an award for a future business class reservation using Alaska miles to anywhere outside of US/Mexico/Canada in the past 2-3 months? I am beginning to think it's no longer possible. Although they show lots of options, most are for business flights but when you select them, they display primarily as coach while those that are in business cannot be purchased.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes have booked flights in J using AS miles for family for this fall. Some AF and some EK.

EK is very tricky to book at times - both parts in a connecting flight itn must be available at once. My recommendation is to:

1) use the calendar to filter to business class
    2) search out of EK hub cities first and tack in as flights later
    3) search one way using multi-city option with forced stopover in DXB

Phone calls to AS are pointless nowadays except CX and LA flights.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw ORD-DXB-SEZ available in November. :D

4. titan151

titan151 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks,

We finally got some tickets. Ended up booking two separate one way flights to Thailand and then home with a 1 day layover in Dubai. The return leg was really difficult, most of the flights we tried to purchase gave us an error message stating that space on partner airlines could not be confirmed. I think it took 3 months and maybe 75 different attempts at purchasing flights they claim are "available". But on the bright side, all four flights are business on the A380, so looking forward to that.

I believe in the end, the trick was to purchase the worst possible flight between BKK and DXB, which was a flight that left at 1am and got in at 6am. Also with a connection thru LAX on the way back to Seattle. (oh yeah, that last leg is coach, because Alaska).

Flyer1976 likes this.