Business award GRU-LHR

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by ILovetoFly, Mar 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ILovetoFly

ILovetoFly Member

Status Points:
    I am planning to take my wife to Europe in March of 2014. Our first flight will be GRU-LHR and I would like to fly business class. I notice that much of the year there are only business award seats available on Mondays and Tuesdays. For whatever reason, there is not a single business award available after January 2014. I am even willing to pay the difference and fly first, but so far no availability after January. The coach seats are available. Is that normal, for BA to hold off on business like that? When could I expect to see any of them become available?

Thanks!

*I forgot to mention that I specifically want to fly outbound on BA because I have plenty AVIOS that I earned from a couple of credit card signup bonuses. I also want to fly club world or F on a 747, so that puts us leaving from GRU.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not an exact science so it's impossible to predict.All you can do is keep checking every day until more seats get released. F seats are usually easier to get than CW on the GRU route.....midweek especially.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd try GIG also if you can do that. GIG-LHR is sometimes easier than is GRU-LHR. Generally IME BA is a Monday-Wednesday outbound anyway, most of the year because business traffic on both routes tends to take the paid seats. OTOH, if you use ExpertFlyer you can simply state your preferred timing and wait for something to come available. There are often a few seats opening up close to departure, still during the business week. Remember that 2014 will not be an easy year for awards to/from GRU or most other major Brazil airports. Best bet is just after a major upguage between GRU and Europe. Look for not only BA changes but AF/KL, LH, LX, SQ, IB and others. Most of them are increasing capacity early next year and your BA availability will be affected by people choosing another airline rather than transitting LHR. Luckily you've a while to plan.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA award seats are not shown on ExpertFlyer.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but one can look for "U" inventory, which IIRC, serves the same end. I have not done that, but I have looked for "Z" and found it to work well. Have they eliminated those codes from BA as well? I just looked for June and did not find either but BA usually has no awards out of Brazil in June anyway. Thanks for pointing that out. I had forgotten.

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA uses the following booking classes for awards:-
    Z - First class
    U - Business class
    P - Premium economy
    X - Economy class

None of these show on ExpertFlyer (and AFAIK never have done), even on flights on which you can clearly see award availability using BA's website.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My point was different. Looking for awards one cannot find them. OK. Looking for fare class Z and U, as I stated above, in "flight availability" I wondered if they showed up. For some airlines the fare class does show, but not if you search for "Awards and Upgrades". As far as I can tell from teh routes I checked taht does not work for BA either.

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do not - as I have said twice already, not confining my answer to either method of searching on ExpertFlyer.

BA award seats do not show up on ExpertFlyer. Full stop. End of story.

[For complete clarity, Comair X class will show. Comair U class will not.]