Burnt Carpet

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by corz123, Mar 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys what would happen if the hotel claims that you burnt the hotel carpet with a cigarette and wants to charge you? Is there any recourse for that or any insurance that covers it (credit card,renter's insurance)?

I don't believe so. It's a good distance (1 meter) from where I had a smoke and I've only been here for one day and I haven't been drunk yet. So I'm a little disturbed by the situation especially since they want to charge me over 1000 usd for what looks like a 1.5 cm mark.

Thanks!

zpaul and satman40 like this.
  2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not aware of insurance. However, don't pay, dispute any charges with your credit card, make them fight for it and truly prove you did it.

satman40 likes this.
  3. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will they let me leave the hotel? Or is it better to pay and dispute w/ credit card? How can they prove it? Seems like he said she said.

satman40 and gregm like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't imagine not 'letting' you leave, but, as you said, it's your word against theirs. Whatever happened to the customer always being right?

satman40 likes this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you, in fact, burn the carpet with the cigarette? Were you in a no-smoking room or area?

satman40 and gregm like this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Little circle cutter, and move the burnt spot into the closet., take a spot from the closet, and swap them...or call a carpet man...Cain Carpet tool, no real skill required...$25.00.. Lowe's should sell them..

I did not do that...3 feet away, your ash can blow."

Call the carpet man, you should have never opened your mouth, fix it and take a picture...

Move on...

gregm and downhillcrasher like this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do know they would have to pro rate the carpet....no judge will give them the full amount ..and they have to give you the right to curay the damages/

gregm likes this.
  8. sanjaytuli

sanjaytuli New Member

Status Points:
    Those charges aren't a source of revenue in any hotel. There is absolutely no reason that any hotel would continue charging guests for Hotel Carpets over and over until someone finally paid up, because the moment the issue was found was the moment that a repair would be needed. I am certain if you wanted to turn this into a litigation issue that the information could be given about previous occupants, but all over $1,000 when it is very likely that this occurred during the time the OP occupied the room?It is an interesting theory but so unlike.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  9. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you smoked in a non smoking room ?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  10. RonJohn

RonJohn Active Member

Status Points:
    adamefimoff2 likes this.