Bumpy approach to LAX

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike Reed, Dec 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just FYI, on approach to LAX from AUS right now. Captain came on and explained that the jet stream is ugly today, and although skies are clear it's going to be a bumpy ride through the whirlpools and eddies, but that ATC is clearing folks to lower altitudes to get under it. Apparently quite a few of the planes ahead of us have reported it, too.

He wasn't kidding. Not any sort of turbulence that should merit mechanical checks (yet), but it's definitely a rough ride. He's actually just asked the flight attendants to take ANY SEAT if they're up moving around.

Haven't been on a roller coaster like this in a long time. Wondering if the fish quesadilla for lunch was the right idea... even with my strong stomach. :)

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just FYI, we were just east of PHX. Looking at the current jet stream images, I see exactly what he means. We went down to 260, still bumpy, then back up to 300 before we got it cleared out.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty unusual to see that. I'd definitely tighten my seat belt a little more. :)

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    it would have been neat to be on UA and listen to channel 9 as the flight deck sought better altitude from ATC.