Bumps on United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NDFAN 2, Dec 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know United gives electronic vouchers if one gets a bump. Is that sent to your e-mail address listed on that confirmation number or is that something you provide to the gate agent? Or is it done by another way?

Thanks!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. mtbroxs
    Original Member

mtbroxs Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given at the gate.

3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience they're printed and given to you at the gate. I haven't seen an electronic one issued, unless that gets issued after the fact by customer service.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is paper but used online.

One is given a printout at the gate after the bump, on the printout is a code & pin. when booking a new itin, one enters the code & pin from printout to apply to new fare.

On a side note, I've found it helps to know if the gate agent(s) are UA or CO pre-merger. In my experience the CO agents play the "I'm trying to F the customer and don't care that you've offered to take a bump, so I'll start the vouchers at $100" whereas the UA pre-merger agents are very pleased that you've offered to take a bump and will simply give $400 for a domestic bump. Again, in my experience there is a huge difference in agent quality.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I took two VDBs in the same day and got hosed by the same gate folks. The first bump was $300 and the second was $200 but the second bump had a longer overnight. Fortunately I worked something out with a GS supervisor and got out that night instead.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought this thread was about illicit activity on board. Wow, how wrong I was. ;)

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once accepted a voluntary bump from first to E+ between DFW & IAH. I got a hand written confirmation from the GA in the interest of time (we were late), then received a confirmation via email when I arrived home.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious, was the writing on a scrap of paper or something with UA letterhead?

9. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it go both ways. A few days before Christmas, a PMUA gate agent in DEN was offering $200 to fly 2.5 DAYS later. Needless to say, no one took it so they ended up IDBing a few passengers. On the other side, I've read a few recent reports of PMCO gate agents offering $800 for volunteers.

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was an official CO form (although after the merger), but not computer generated.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. GO IRISH!!!! :D I think all ND alumni fans should be given free upgrades until the 7th as a goodwill gesture to a great football team and school :p

12. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once took a bump on a CLE-BWI flight.
    GA could not figure out how to get SHARES to issue the VDB and food vouchers.
    I was in a hurry to catch my rebooked/rerouted flight (to PHL) so the agent documented my record and the vouchers were printed when I got to PHL.

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    When there were no takers at $800, agents were offering $1000 for EWR-STT on 12/21. Unfortunately, they were offering rebooking on AA (EWR-MIA-STT) on a flight that was Y0, so I didn't take it.

14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

I'd have took it in cold hard cash if I had the luxury of doing so.

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I'd had two more days of buffer for getting to STT, I would have too. We were connecting to a cruise, though, and with Y0, I didn't want to miss our cruise. It wasn't worth blowing $7500 over, y'know?

16. emwitty

emwitty Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took a VDB on a flight recently from ORD to ALB, before the Holiday weekend: it was to be, in theory, straightforward: $300 to wait 1 hour for the next flight. When the GA asked, "Are you sure?" I said, "Yes, it's only my family...they can wait an hour" With this pithy joke, I thought it would all be smooth sailing, but I should have known I was in for trouble when the GA said, "OK, thanks, but I don't know how to handle these myself. So-and-so down there will handle it."

What could have been an easy rebook and printout of vouchers got handed off to various people, each coping with other immediate emergencies. When someone finally could handle my rebooking, my 1-hour-later flight had not only boarded, it had begun to leave. In a fit of "oh no" panic, the agent said, that there was no confirmed availability for two more days. What had I done to myself?!?

A supervisor was called over, who had also seen me volunteer earlier. He felt so sorry about what was happening that he said simply, "we are going to get you home tonight." and made calls to bring the plane back and reopen the door. For just a moment, I felt like Tom Stuker.

As we were rushing over to the other gate, I was also promised that my compensation was going to be more than the $300 originally agreed to. The only difficulty was: how was I going to get it. I didn't have any paper, any written promises, only a verbal promise from some guy in a suit who said just to remember his name and that everything would be taken care of when I came back. As I boarded a plane full of stunned passengers wondering who I was to be so important, the FA asked "What seat are you in?" I said, "I don't know." "OK Sit there."

When I returned to ORD the GA had no knowledge of my situation, I offered the supervisor's name and was told he had left for the night. I began to wonder how I was ever going to be able to contact this person or get these vouchers. I tried calling reservations and the airport: and they were not allowed to forward my call or take messages.

In the end, I simply took a chance that the supervisor would be working the same schedule, went back to the airport on a different day last week, went to a check-in agent, and asked how I could contact the supervisor. The supervisor was there, and within minutes, everything was straightened out and I had $400 in vouchers and several apologies.

I'm just glad that I both remembered the name and that *he* remembered the incident.

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took a bump on SFO-SEA once. The redcoat seemed to be tutoring the GA and asked him where he was going to start the bidding. He said $350, she countered that he should only do $300. I didn't mind too much since it's a short flight. What annoyed me is that it was the last flight out, already delayed an hour, and because they didn't process VDBs until after the (late) plane departed, I didn't reach my motel until 1 AM. I think circumstances like that, as opposed to a taking a bump mid-day, should warrant higher compensation.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few months ago I was flying from a Canadian city (vagueness intentional), with a connection in Denver on a Thursday afternoon. When I ticketed, the options were a 3.5 layover in Denver or a 50 minute layover. Since the chances of arriving in the UAX area was high, I decided to book the 3.5 hour layover.

I had noticed that the flight had been sold out for awhile. Asked before going through CBP pre-clearance if they needed a volunteer. Lady said yes, but said I would not make my onward connection (even though i know i would) and that the compensation was $100. I asked $100, and she said yes. I politely declined (but in my mind, I shook my head and reminded myself this is the new United).

Thirty minutes later at the gate Ms. $100 spotted me and said I can give you $400 and you will still make your connection if you take the later DEN flight.

After confirming the times and making sure the inbound aircraft was on-time, I said yes. By the way she presented the information to me, it sounded like she realized her blonde moment at the check-in counter. In addition to the $400 cert, she gave me two meal vouchers for a two-and-a-half hour wait with me arriving on-time at my final destination.

frankmu, Sweet Willie and Flyer1976 like this.
  19. Jollyhelodriver

Jollyhelodriver Active Member

Status Points:
    I would disagree with your main comment. I have found that it really depended on the specific agent that handled the process. I have had some that started cheap I have had others that gave away the store. I have had good experiences and bad ones with both prior to and after merger. Just smile be nice and hope for the best. Usually I have done very well.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  20. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When they low ball me, I always tell them I am going to decline the bump unless they make it worth my while.

Billiken and Sweet Willie like this.