Bumped!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Travelrus, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelrus

Travelrus Active Member

Status Points:
    Recently subjected to IDB. Booked YYZ-VIE, VIE-VNC to board cruiseship.
    At YYZ, I was informed there is no seat on my second flight and I was told to go home. Somehow after much discussion they let me go to VIE.The connecting flight took off early, before I even got there. Needless to say there were no flights to VNC to get me there on time for the first port. I flew to the second port, and of course the luggage did not follow so I wore what I had on me for the entire cruise.

I thought they would have to at least inform me that I was being bumped/ provide me with a written statement of compensation/ offer me or others VDB rather than taking off early because the flight was full. Seems pretty poor service to tell someone to just go home and don't go on a cruise vacation because they overbooked. Is this common practice?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was this AC followed by Austrian? It's unclear whether Canadian or EU regulations apply in this case.

Did you have a ticket and confirmed reservation with legal connecting times? And did you check in, drop luggage and arrive at the gate within the times set by your carrier for TATL flights? Did you try to assign seats and check in from your computer? Did you have a regular revenue ticket, at a published fare paid with money--i.e., not a FF award ticket and not purchased from a consolidator or priceline?

I find it strange that you were told that the second flight was oversold at least about ten hours before its scheduled departure time. All airlines overbook and they don't really know whether they have enough seats for everyone until just before departure, when they see how many passengers actually show up for the flight.

In many jurisdictions, IDB compensation is mandated and must be paid immediately. They are also required to provide you with a statement of your rights.

3. Travelrus

Travelrus Active Member

Status Points:
    This was Austrian. Ticket confirmed, bought with real money, did not check in online, was at airport >3 hours before departure.
    In the end enjoyed the cruise wearing same clothing everyday. Still no luggage yet, but promised to be sent to us once located.
    Just very very frustrating and very poor customer service.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Austrian airlines follows the EU rules for compensation. Also, with lost luggage for more than about a day, most airlines will reimburse costs of buying some things you need. They should have told you about this. Did they at least give you an amenity kit when you reported the lost bag at the airport?

5. Travelrus

Travelrus Active Member

Status Points:
    No. And we didn't ask. Gave us a couple of XL t shirts, and some basic toiletries...

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, so they gave you an amenity kit. Do you have a record and receipts for what you had to buy? Can you find a delayed luggage policy on their website?

7. Travelrus

Travelrus Active Member

Status Points:
    I have all receipts. Found the policy. Discussing with the airline. Thanks for support. Will patiently await for compensation. Still waiting for bags though they say they have located them.
    Most frustrated that they would even do that: bump someone off without telling them, not offer compensation, probably no VDB for someone else, tell someone to go home and forget their vacation....

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at the EU IDB policy and see whether it applies to you. If so, file a claim if the airline isn't giving the compensation to which you are legally entitled.

9. Travelrus

Travelrus Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for advice.

10. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So sorry to hear this, but yes, I would check out the EU IDB policy as it seems you're a candidate for compensation.