Bumped from seats again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by FranklyMe, Nov 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    A couple of weeks ago I posted a request titled "Bumped from First Class" to see how you all felt about my being bumped from my first class seats to coach because I was late at the gate (according to them, though they were still begging me to take the coach seats 20 minutes later). That was on United.

Well, yesterday my wife and I were returning from LGA to SMF on American and I had carefully selected my seats 8A and 8B (only 2 seats on an MD-80 on the left side) and arrived at the gate 90 minutes before the flight. Yet they still had given away our seats to someone else and given us 8E and 8F (three in a row). Now some may find that not much difference but I take great pains to select flights where we do not have a neighbor. In fact I would not have booked the flight at all if I hadn't got the two seats that are by themselves.

I complained to AA this morning and got a reply with not much of an apology, somehow implying it was my fault, and offered us 5,000 miles each for our disappointment, reiterating that the gate agent has the power to do this.

What is going on here? Was it because I am only AA Platinum and someone else was Executive Platinum? Were they bumped from First Class? Maybe it's me? I was not nasty or threatening. Are people bribing the gatekeepers?

Please guys, tell me what you think this time.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 5,000 each you got for the inconvenience was reasonably generous. I'm assuming the plane stopped somewhere along the way as LGA-SMF isn't a nonstop route so how long were you actually put out for?

Seat swaps happen for a variety of reasons. We rarely know why they happen and the airlines are not particularly inclined to tell us. Ultimately they are requests, not assignments. The airlines can change them at their discretion and they don't really owe you anything for it.

3. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    It was on the last leg from DFW to SMF. I was not put out by any time, just got moved to seats that were not so nice.

The actual response from AA was:

"We can't explain the reason your seats were changed. There are many factors involved, and our gate agents do have the final authority to make the decision to move people based on information they have accumulated."

I can't imagine what information they could have accumulated, besides perhaps "I have just put $20 in your coat pocket and hope you will steal someone's seats and give them to me".

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry you were bumped. It stinks when it happens, especially to those of us who obsess over seat selection. The reason could be any number of things as @WanderingAramean said. I was bumped once for a disabled pax (no complaint there) and another time moved on a long haul flight from my comfy exit row window seat to what had to be the crappiest seat on the plane. I asked why and was not given a reason.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt the GAs are being bought for $20. Sorry.

The 5000 points is roughly $20/hour for the inconvenience. Such is life.

clscholes and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    OK, I just wanted to know if this is some trend or something sinister - must be my suspicious mind.

I will just accept the 5,000 miles and be grateful - actually it is a generous offer.

Thanks for your responses.

MSYgirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a solo traveler I occasionally find my seat has been changed to accommodate "couples" who want to be seated next to each other and I can't do a stinking thing about it. One time I got my Tawanda on and insisted on my old seat or a better seat to which I received a shrug of the shoulders and a look that implied I was about to be kicked-off-the-flight all-together-if-I-didn't-quiet-down look. Sigh -

Newscience likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I recall from your previous posting, when you were bumped from your previous flight (because you got to the gate after boarding was otherwise complete) one of the solutions you proposed to the gate agent was that they give you and your wife adjacent seats on the next flight that had already been assigned to other passengers. Maybe that's what happened here -- people from a previous flight got bumped and were given your seats?

MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know GA do move Pax from seat to seat for a lot of reasons. They try to make everyone happy most of the time. !!!!

10. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    All I am saying is I would get bumped from 10 flights a year if it would get me 5,000 miles each time...that's an international trip with the combined mileage...and yes, I know that's geeky...;)

lrluis, vickers, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checking on Seat Guru. One of the AA MD-80's has these two seats at the very front of the cabin. On the other they are the second row. On the one with the bulkhead seats, the bulkheads can be changed for Handicapped Fliers. Maybe this is the situation???

MX likes this.
  12. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very likely...I know, especially on international flights anyway, that those HS are very much reserved for that purpose, and GA's will boot you if they need to.

13. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    Good point.

14. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just thought maybe this is @Black Cloud's second username...sounds like something that would happen...:D

15. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found that asking for re-accommodation yields more results than complaining about the move. That is, if you explain what your preferences are and ask for a seat that meets them - that I get better results than demanding an explanation for their original move or for me to get my original seat back.

LETTERBOY and MSYgirl like this.
  16. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly coach and never get bumped. ;)

17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Vickers,
    You've discovered the secret of no-bump flying! Don't worry, 99% of the time, I'm with you in the cheap seats! :)
    Newscience

18. nathan.anthony82

nathan.anthony82 Active Member

Status Points:
    and... the Travel Gremlin Strikes Again!!!

19. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you do online checkin for your flight? Trying to think of a reason why your seats were given away.

20. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thought it was a basic that everyone understood. You are -not- guaranteed specific seats - ever.

Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  21. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand. But I can still obsess and whine. :D

Slow_Mustang and Newscience like this.
  22. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go right ahead, and see if anyone cares, ;) or offers you any cheese to go with the w(h)ine!

23. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd whine just to get the cheese! Yum.

24. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    +10

Depending on how strong a cheese we're talking about*.

*not usually so much a fan of the milder varieties.

MSYgirl likes this.