Bump Compensation $400 and not free flight?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by annerj, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. annerj
    Original Member

annerj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been a while since I was offered a bump AND could take one. DEN-FAT yesterday.

$400.....when did this change?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    $400 has been the standard UA bump offering for a while, as far as I can tell.

3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure when it was changed, but UA now offers a flat rate of $400 for all bumps on domestic itineraries...

BTW, I am a little confused by the title of this thread... What do you mean by not free flight?

EDIT: Got it...

4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It has been a free flight or $400 for a while now. Some agents do the free flight...some do the voucher. Recently, I've only seen the $400 actually. The great part about getting the $400 is that the flight will earn mileage as it will be a "revenue" ticket. If you got the free flight...no mileage. I (by far) prefer the $400 in vouchers!

Casey Friday and karenkay like this.
  5. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the $400 last week SFO-IAD. One good thing was that they gave me 4x$100 coupons so that the value can be used on one or multiple flights.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was test-driven for a few months in a few markets, then became the norm about a year ago.

7. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see the merits of both compensation alternatives, though I probably along with the majority of people on this board who like to rack up miles probably prefer the $400 voucher.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  8. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    An agent told me last week that 400 dollars was the new standard, and the flight vouchers were very hard to come by.

9. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Policy is now the $400 only.

10. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    May 2010. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13945202-post144.html)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ring-only-t-cs-vdbs-3-week-pilot-program.html

And to toot my own horn a little bit, see http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/how-to-get-voluntarily-denied-boarding-on-united-airlines.1181/ for more info on bumps on United.

11. annerj
    Original Member

annerj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flights out of RKS tend to be $$$ so I liked the free ticket. But I'll take what I can get...its been a long time since a VDB has worked out for me.

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a double-edged sword in terms of what UA will give away. Either the flight voucher or $400, they will still bet on us forgetting, losing, or simply not redeeming those.

I would love to learn what the usage rate is on those, how many people actually use the certs they receive.

13. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time UA commented on it, they said breakage was around 60%. [​IMG]

Also they can upsell on the tickets. I believe one of their reasons to going back to vouchers (used to be free tickets) was the ability to sell above and beyond the voucher value, wheras with the free ticket, no additional money exchanged hands.

Billiken likes this.
  14. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer $$ vouchers over flight ticket any day. One can use vouchers on international flights and they earn miles! The free flights do not.

I too will shamelessly toot my horn here (thanks for starting that Rob) by posting a link to my blog post on vouchers.

Billiken likes this.
  15. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder! I think I have one of the last remaining free tickets which will be a year old this month! [​IMG] I'd better use it or lose it.
    I remember telling the GA that I would prefer the vouchers and she wouldn't do it. Grrrrr.

16. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, you could always take your seat and leave the person at the gate having to find and work with someone else. Of course, if it was involuntary you could simply ask for the cash!

17. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made out the last time (and first in a very long time) I took a bump. Got the $400, a non stop flight and arrived back within 15 minutes of the original itinerary thanks to their delay at the connecting airport. Love when that happens!

18. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:

Me too!

19. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    When I was 1K, I disliked the domestic free ticket. I rather have $600 for an overnight bump. I got one back in 2005 at DEN for taking a later flight. I wanted the free ticket because I needed it to get my friend to my wedding in 2006. I didn't have to overnight & arrived @LAX only 50 minutes later. :) The free ticket books all the way up to Q class which was very nice.

20. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the $400 valid towards the purchase of an international ticket? Fairly useless for me if not.

21. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

22. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup.
    so much better than the free flight.
    Valid on any UA flights, also international. Only downside is that you need to mail or airport ticketing.

Skyvillager likes this.