Bugs on a Plane

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by mhnadel, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an unusual experience the other day while boarding a UAX flight from BNA to IAD. Being an ERJ 145 we were boarding via stairs from the tarmac. Nashville is enjoying the year of the locust (i.e. the emergence of 13 year cicadas) and a swarm of cicadas arrived about when the passengers did. The poor flight attendant grabbed the nearest Hemispheres magazine and was furiously waving it at the doorway to keep the bugs out. A few did make it onto the plane, where she stomped them and cleaned up the remains with cocktail napkins.

I'm not particularly freaked out by cicadas so mostly found this amusing, but the woman seated behind me was somewhat panicky.

JohnDeere19 and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had little gnats on my TK First Class flight the other day. There were only 3 that I noticed the entire flight so it wasn't terrible, but still noticeable.

3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check back in 13 years....I'm sure the inflight snack will have wings.....

JohnDeere19 and sobore like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL!

5. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate cicadas and most likely would have been grossed out when they boarded but also when they were squished. Gives me the creeps just imagining that scene.

Let me add that whenever I see a fly onboard I wonder what the heck he thinks when he lands in another city...:)

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always find it odd when a fly makes it onto a TATL flight...:eek: yuck! A few years ago, there was a pretty ugly spider that we killed on an LAX-ATL flight...ick!

7. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    One time I heard a gate agent say they couldn't use a jetway due to yellow jackets. :eek: All I could figure was a garbage bag with juice was leaking as the cleaners took it off an aircraft.

8. Take.me.away

Take.me.away Active Member

Status Points:
    Last time I flew out of HYD there were a couple of Mosquitos on the plane. I am one of those people who absolutely attracts every mosquito on the block. I was bummed. I thought I had finally been able to put away my bug spray.

But hey, as long as it wasn't a bedbug... :eek:

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the bugs in the title were bedbugs.......:eek:

10. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember (Many years ago) when a flight from the mainland landed in Hawaii, the flight attendants were required to walk up and down the aisles spraying insecticide. It made breathing quite difficult!

They stopped this practice after they realized its futility. Now the bugs get a free ride.

11. Take.me.away

Take.me.away Active Member

Status Points:
    I flew back and forth from India last year 3 times. Twice on BA LHR to HYD and back. Those flights they sprayed "in accordance with WHO requirements". The third time was AA ORD-DEL but no spray (inbound on AA -we flew BA to LHR outbound and got sprayed). Weird I thought at the time.