Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Rosilene, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Who knows?
    What's better to know there?

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  2. Lindyhopper

Lindyhopper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could you be more specific in your question?

mcruiser, jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only do I know what's better to know here I know who's better to know.

Lyssa and jbcarioca like this.
  4. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    That pretty much says all there is to say, about this intricate question. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the OP here, but I'm going to Buenos Aires in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know where a good spot would be to go see a tango show?

PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Head off here: http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/central-south-america.188/

ask what you will. There are Argentine experts there.

LizzyDragon84 and PAinNY like this.
  7. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lizzy,
    I didn't see a traditional tango show as I was advised that they are very touristy. In a conversation with a waitress in BA, she suggested we check out a local Milonga - where the locals go to tango. It was fantastic - here is a list of famous ones and I believe we went to the first one, Confiteria Ideal. Hope you enjoy BA half as much as I did!
    Pat
    • Confitería Ideal: an old-fashioned milonga where dances are held afternoons and evenings, almost every day of the week. Confiteria Ideal was the setting for films like The Tango Lesson and Evita.
    • Salon Canning: a meeting point for the best dancers of Buenos Aires on Fridays.
    • La Nacional: another traditional milonga.
    • Niño Bien: another traditional milonga.
    • La Viruta: a preferred place for the younger public; up to 200 people attend dancing classes here before the dance. The music includes electrotango and sometimes even salsa and rock and roll.
    • Cachirulo: One of the most traditional milongas in Buenos Aires requiring men and women to sit on opposite sides of the room. It takes place every Saturday from 6 pm to Sunday 4 am.
    • La Catedral: an interesting milonga situated in an old factory. There are classes and milongas almost every night, with Tuesdays being a popular night for tourists and first-timers.