Buenos Aires (EZE) - Q&A Master Thread

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Gaucho, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im thinking it may be a good idea to start a Master Thread with some basic information on Buenos Aires.... hope that the other regular EZE visitors and expats can help me give visitors a helping hand... :D

jbcarioca, rkt10 and Gargoyle like this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be coming into town soon on my first trip to EZE (and S America). Is taxi the best (easiest) way into the city? At what cost? What are alternatives. Where (in general) is a good place for cheaper safe lodging, Palermo? San Telmo?

Sorry for the deluge, but I'm just not expereinced in this part of the world! [​IMG]

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taxis are the easiest. They will run you about USD$30-something, depending on the last fare increase vs. the current exchange rate. You have a choice of booths with different pricing after you leave customs but before you reach the general locura of the unsecured area. Manuel Tienda Leon is the most famous, most reliable, and now, by a fair margin, most expensive. I usually use one of the others - variable car quality, mostly from ok to very good, and they've always gotten me where I'm going safely.

http://www.aerobusezeiza.com.ar/ has a cheap service to San Telmo - never have used them - but apparently @ EZE you have to call them.

How long are you staying for? If it is for a week or more, apartment rentals are going to be your most affordable option. Plenty of them in San Telmo (including my own). There isn't really any "chain" lodging in San Telmo, nor am I really familiar with the boutique places. http://www.riberasurhotel.com.ar/ is right near my place, if you want to get an idea of a small San Telmo affordable place that seems decent.

jbcarioca and goodandclassy like this.
  4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    The trip is all of 36 hours, don't ask. [​IMG] As for lodging: clean and contains bathroom and I'm fine. I've found a few places that have potential, but I'm not familiar with the areas, what is safe etc.

Thanks for the info on transportation. [​IMG]

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Most areas from San Telmo - basically following around to the Microcentro around to Recoleta and Palermo are going to be fine (including Puerto Madero) - there are a few exceptions. As with any major city, street smarts are important, even in 'safe' areas.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    36 hours! Boooo... I agree that taxi's the easiest. What're you interested in seeing? That should guide where you stay if it's only going to be 1.5 days.

jbcarioca and kwai like this.
  7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have preferred a few days, this is just how things working out. Quite honestly this is going to be a very simple trip. Walking around and looking at buildings - they can be run down, new, colorful bland, but they just need to be interesting- open spaces, parks, monuments etc. I'm not going to push towards museums and such, not now. So, outdoors as much as possible is the best bet. Eating, always. Drinking, on the same level as eating.

This is how I learn every city, on the ground. 36 hours isn't alot of time, and I'm not about to say it's anywhere near sufficient to learn more than a small town, but it will put things into perspective from map to eyes and be the basis for when I can arrange a longer visit. And further, it's all I could muster so I'll make the most of it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also consider Recoleta....

all the above advice is spot on....

when exactly are you coming down..??

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is basically how I learned many cities, although my typical trip used to be about 48 hours, not 36. And then I'd return, and return again. Now, for more specific BUE advice. (BUE complies with my anti-discrimination policy of not excluding AEP when I talk about the Capital Federal :p )

I now have the BUE perspective of someone who has been a solo tourist, a tourist with companions, and an international real estate magnate. (Well, an 80m2 apartment :D ) . My least favorite trip there was as a solo tourist, when I didn't know anyone. This was contrary to the vast majority of my international travels, where I loved to travel solo. So, based upon my perspective, here's some further advice (probably not extremely relevant for a 36 hour trip, but perhaps, and useful for the topic, I hope).

For location, the microcentro is as "centro" as you can get, easy walking or short taxi to most of what you'll want to do. There is plenty of shopping if that is your thing, and plenty of places to grab a bite to eat. However, I do not recommend this area as a solo traveler.

I found that the biggest issue, for someone who likes to eat decent food, and likes to go out at night, is how the day (or rather, night) works. If going out to a club is your thing, you will find that you will have no place to go until about 1:30AM, the earliest. Your peak dinnertime isn't until after 10PM, and these weren't places I wanted to dine solo. So, I'd end up eating something very casual before 9, then going back to the hotel, trying not to doze off, then going out after 1. Of course, I didn't know much about the city at the time.

For this reason, the solo traveler should stay in a place where there are places that one would feel comfortable eating in a decent cafe solo, and has such places open late. My place is in San Telmo, which has plenty of this, and if you go up and out Santa Fe, there seem to be a lot of this. I don't think Recoleta, Puerto Madero or the Microcentro are great for the solo traveler who wants nighttime things convenient. And that is my perspective and memory from someone who didn't know much about the city at the time. And also, from someone who probably had 50 to 75 Western Europe "major city" solo long weekend trips under his belt. It is just different here. And that isn't a bad thing, just something to think about. Of course, others may vehemently disagree with me, and that is quite alright.

jbcarioca and kwai like this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I'm not a club person and the late night dinner etc is not what I'm used to, but it'll work out.

I'm not that being in a city for 36 hours and not knowing anyone will be problematic. A longer trip and that possibility arises. I'll look into San Telmo.

Is there much of a carnival atmosphere in BUE (I'm learning)? I didn't realize Carnival was so late this year and I'll be in town on March 3.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    How to do a flight from Rio to EZE?

Some of us are interested in combining Rio or another city with EZE in an open jaw or side trip. Are the airfares sky high? How good are the discount airlines? I assume trains are not ideal.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want carnival you should go to Rio.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not just say 'there's not much of a carnival atmosphere'?

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont think its possible to travel by train from RIO to EZE... at least not on some sort of "direct" connection. Cant comment on Brazilian trains but the Argentine rail system is horrible so its not really an option.

Airfares are not inexpensive... see if you can use some of the regional promotional fares related to your incoming international ticket... else, you will have to see what TAM, Gol and Aerolineas have to offer... LAN may also have something that includes some sort of connection, I think they are doing Sao Paulo to Buenos Aires but not Rio.

Cheers,
    Alex / Gaucho

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brazil trains, except for a few local tourist steam trains, are horrible. The only practical way to combine Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro is by plane as Gaucho suggests. if you have time and like cruises there are several cruises that include Rio, Buenos Aires and Montevideo. I am told they are very nice buit I know nothing about them personally.

Gaucho likes this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the high speed rail proyect still in the cards?

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho, are you familiar with the location and thoughts of either of the properties listed below? We may plan a getaway through Interval International in May and these are the two available:

1. Plaza San Martin Suite (on Santa Fe Avenue, three blocks from Florida Street, near the financial district and the new business center at Puerto Madero)

2. Rochester Classic. I don't see where it is located but pictures seem like nice, modern feel.

Thanks so much!

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:

Allow me to join this crowd. I just returned from BUE (Had the pleasure of BOTH EZE and AEP :D), went all over town, and i loved it!

For places to stay, i'd suggest online review sites. the places we picked from a particular one (not sure if i can mention names) were consistent with our experience, and the prices were good! we stayed mostly in Palermo, though one of the nights was in Recoleta.

Reaching out directly can get you availability, special pricing (last minute, cash-only, etc :D), and so on

We stayed in Mira Vida Soho, Duque, and Puro in Palermo, and Ayres de Recoleta Plaza - no complaints with any of them - jsut different types of accommodations :)

If you expand your search to AEP as well (Buenos Aires' "domestic" airport, you may find more availability. I believe Gol runs a few nonstops from GIG to AEP. They are also a SkyMiles partner - so you may be able to use some miles for a cheap-ish trip, if the fares are unreasonable.

IME, open jaws did not work well with gol when booked for revenue. RT tickets tend to get you better, special offer pricing, if you are lucky. Something to keep in mind.

AEP is an easy airport to get through, and a US$10 or less cab ride to Palermo, Recoleta, or parts of the center :)

jbcarioca and AmericanGirl like this.
  19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Location is good for both... but Im afraid I dont know specifics of these properties... never been inside them - actually never heard of them before your post. Have you checked for reviews on Trip Advisor...?

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice to make this thread a sticky... :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're a moderator. Do something! Oh, oops! :D

Gaucho likes this.
  22. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im afraid thats a no can do over here....

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be in Buenos Aires for 4 days and traveling with my wife and a 10 years old. Will be visiting Montevideo first for 2 days and then arriving via buquebus late in the eveining, Planning to stay at Park Tower. Do have some questions:
    1. I assume the best way to get to Park Tower from the Buquebus would be a Taxi. I might not have Argentinian Pesos upon arrival. Is there an ATM there for me to get cash?
    2. Any suggestions on the restaurants? We usually do not like any fusion and our child loves rice. All of us do enjoy steaks and fish.
    3. We will be doing some site seeing. Whenever we travel in Europe, we usually prefer public transportation or walking. Is it safe to take public transportation? if yes, do they sell daily or multiple day passes? is public transportation for a child is free or a reduced rate?

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  24. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taxi from Buquebus to the Park Tower will be a good option. Im afraid I dont know what the ATM situation is at the Buquebus terminal. In any event, even if you dont have or cant get Pesos, you have two options. Either pay the Taxi in US Dollars (just divide the peso fare by 4 and have the exchange rate difference be the tip), or else, once you get to the Park Tower, ask the cab to wait and tell the Bellboy you are checking in and need to get Dollars exchanged for Pesos at the front desk. The fxrate the hotel will offer will not be great, but it will solve your issue.... if I were you, I would just pay the taxi in USD's and then wait until you can get to an ATM after you check in.

For restaurant info, please check the F&B thread in these forums, plenty of info there. Rice will be available in almost all places you choose to dine.

Public transportation is safe, aside from the pickpocket that comes around from time to time... but if you have common sense you will be fine. No day passes. In any event, I would suggest you do a Taxi to one of the attractions and then take the hop on and hop off bus... that is your best bet. The Concierge at the Park Tower will be able to give you details.

h

jbcarioca, TAHKUCT and TRAVELSIG like this.
  25. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did end up staying at Park Hyatt with 4th night free via Amex FHR and loved that property. Did take a Taxi from Buquebus. There was an ATM there and I was able to get pesos.

The hotel staff was instructing us not to take any public transportation, however, we did use subway on 2 occasions without any issues except it was very crowded( I even thought a subway was faster then a taxi)

Even though I did a lot of reading about being careful while in a Taxi and try not to pay with more then 20 pesos bill, I did forgot to change my 50 pesos once before taking a cab. Guess what. The driver did a 50 pesos trick telling me my 50 was fake (I realized later that he swapped it for the fake before giving it back to me) and asking if I have other money. When I said I only had 10 pesos on 18 pesos fare he just took it and disappeared. Only hours later my wife and I realized that 18 pesos ride actually cost us 68 pesos:( However, it was poorly my mistake and I should of been more careful. Lesson learned and after that I had to make sure I had small change. :)

estnet, jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.