Budget Shanghai IGH Property

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Rob, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks,
    I've got two longish layovers in Shanghai at the end of the year and it seems like there are a bunch of reasonably priced IGH properties all over the city (mostly Holiday Inn Expresses). Flying into and out of PVG, any recommendations for which hotel to choose (or alternately, that I'm crazy and should just use the motel168 on the airport) given that I'll have luggage and no desire to rent a car, but am quite willing to take public transport or a taxi.

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Maglev is fun but there isn't a lot around the station in Pudong. Be sure to check the times of first and last service as a year or two ago flights from the USA arrived so late in the evening that it was difficult to catch the last Maglev from the airport. IIRC it was every fifteen minutes with the last one around 9 pm but be sure to check.

There's a new subway line to the airport. Think about hotels located near stations on that line, without a transfer being necessary.

Taxis can be expensive to/from PVG, although not as much as you might hear. Hotel car service, however, is around $100, probably close to three times the rate of a regular taxi. Be sure to have the hotel name and address in Chinese characters.

Do you want to do anything fun during your layovers, such as at least walking around the neighborhood or going out to dinner? If it's nearby, it would be nice to walk along the river or explore a pedestrian shopping street.

Rob and uggboy like this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at the HIX in Zhabei and it was fine, though breakfast was rather poor. Subway lines go to the train station which is a 10 minute walk to the hotel. From the Maglev you'd need to take 2 subways though and i would advise against this during rush hours. It would not be the best choice if lugging a few bags.

The green line out of Pudong would take longer and require only 1 change of subways. Again, not the best alternative.

My stay in July was $85 for 2 nights and with the IHG special at the time was able to get the $75 rebate. :D

I'd stay there again because of the cost. But it's not in the heart of things.

Rob likes this.
  4. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the subway line is the number 2 line which also meets the maglev at Longyang Road. No need for fun during layovers, probably just going to want to eat something and go to sleep.

I actually already booked the HIX Zhabei for one of the layovers, and I'll probably switch the other reservation over there as well. Looking at the subway map and the Priority Club website, there isn't anything within my budget near the 2 line, so if I have to transfer somewhere anyways, might as well go to Zhabei.

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a related note, we're arriving 2015 from NRT and probably will not get through immigration, etc. prior to the end of subway hours. We would like a property near-ish PVG so we can take the Maglev/subway in the morning. We need a USAirways Grand Slam hit but don't want to spend a fortune or sleep in a fleabag. We could go on into town that night if cab fare isn't too much, because we plan to leave the next morning for Hangzhou. Thanks for your help!

6. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend the HIX Zhabei as well. It's a nice new hotel and very good for public transport. The breakfast does bite, however.

On the other hand, the Motel 168's that i have stayed in have generally been pretty good as well.