Budapest, Hungary

Discussion in 'Europe' started by WilCo, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm new in Budapest, but have many connections I can check with if I don't know the answer. If you are looking for some tips, please feel free to ask!

2. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were in Budapest last year, for our 2nd time. I have to say it is truly one of our favorite cities. So many great cultural experiences! Both visits we have stayed at the Castle Hilton and been upgraded to very unique rooms. This last time we had 3 rooms with a step down alcove containing full crank out windows.
    I love Hilton's way of incorporating the old castle walls into the new hotel. Makes for a truly unique property.
    On Castle Hill, the "authentic" Hungarian restaurants were plentiful. Each one was fantastic.
    My grown children have received a chuckle from some of the local color. Never fails when wandering the markets and area near the Hotel Intercontinental in the evenings, there has been an occasion to become momentarily separated from Mr. Noname. We've returned to find a rather flustered husband and father as he's been offered the services of the local ladies of the night. Our grown son is envious as he's not once been solicited!
    I might add this is an obvious tourist area as it iss where the river cruises depart from.
    In terms of river cruises, this is an event I would highly recommend doing at night. Seeing all the prominent buildings lit up or spot lighted gave quite a sense of the beauty this city holds.

3. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think not visiting one of the thermal baths is a great disservice to oneself. Szechenyi is my favorite (especially in winter when it's so cold out!) but Gellert is fancy. Tourists are welcome at either place. And prudish need not worry, no you don't go in au naturel!

4. PackHorse
    Original Member

PackHorse Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm going to be heading to Budapest this coming February and was hoping for some tips on what to see or do. I'll be in town for 3.5 days and should have my evenings free (business trip). I'm married, so no reason to worry about the local ladies. I'm just looking for some fun experiences to talk about when I get home. Thanks for any help!

5. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    • Hospital in the Rock is probably one of the most unique things I have done so far. It would be at the top of my list.
    • House of Terror is a must see.
    • Szchenyi baths are very nice. They are coed and clothed so comfortable for most.
    • Typical site-seeing includes:
      • Chain Bridge
      • Parliament (tours are not available at night so this is probably not an option for you unless you arrive on the weekend)
      • Jewish Synagogue -- the courtyard contains a metal tree, graveyard, and a few other interesting things that are all accessible for free
      • Castle district
      • Hero's Square
    • Eating - if you go to a sit down restaurant, it will take most of your time for the evening. Typical of most European countries, dinner is an event and will take 1.5 hours minimum.
      • Goulash is the most famous item -- it's very good, too.
      • Cukraszda's are dessert galleries. Gerbaud is the most famous probably, but I prefer one called Daubner. All are quite good.
      • Pomo d'Oro is a really good Italian restaurant
      • Cafe Kor has a nice mix of cuisines to choose from. Very small restaurant, good service.
      • La Pampa is an Argentine steakhouse - if you are craving beef, this is probably the place to go as beef is not that common here.
    • Drinking - I am not the best person to ask about this, but Hungarians are very proud of their wines. There are also a number of restaurants that you can get beers from around the world. I have been to one where they are served in unique glasses, depending on which beer you order. Folks seem to like it.
    If you have other questions/specifics, don't hesitate to ask. Feel free to also private message me and I can try to help out once you're here. Taxis are inexpensive and public transport is easy so it really depends on where you're going.

autolycus and PackHorse like this.
  6. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Party in hotel room, yes? ;)

7. PackHorse
    Original Member

PackHorse Active Member

Status Points:
    WilCo,

Wow, thanks for the reply! I'll definitely do some research on the suggestions you've made and get back with you on any specific questions. I'm really looking forward to it and have a few weeks to figure out my plans. I can't wait to try the Goulash. I've had some "event" dinners in Serbia when I've visited there, so I'll be interested to compare the two. Thanks again and I'll be in touch.

PackHorse

8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilCo, thanks for the restaurant info and for linking it from the other thread. Somehow I missed the thread here when it was first going in January, and I hadn't gotten around to actually doing searches for recommendations since the trip is still a month and a half away. But since I saw you mention you were living in Hungary, I figured I'd ask. Glad I did!

If you don't mind adding to the list, do you recommend any specific restaurants in Castle Hill for a "quick" lunch or for a good dinner? I imagine authentic Hungarian is pretty typical for that neighborhood. We're staying a the Hilton, so something within an easy walk of that would be ideal. 3 of the 4 of us would probably love the paprika dishes or goulash. The 4th has a more sensative stomach and prefers a much more plainly-seasoned dish, so a basic steak or roasted or grilled pork might be the best option. Anywhere that should do well for us?

Many thanks!

9. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure - walk up to the church near the Hilton. When standing at the church, look the opposite way from the horse statue and walk down that street. There's 2 good places right on the right.

After eating, continue down that street towards Hospital in the Rock (linked upthread). Enjoy!

By the way, public transport is very good. Get a 24 or 48 hour pass and explore away. The bus comes right by the church and will take you to a major metro and tram stop. Right near that is a large mall (Mammut).

autolycus likes this.