Bset All Purpose card after SPG AMEX?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Wings, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wings
    Original Member

Wings Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to use my SPG AMEX as my all purpose card when I'm not meeting spending requirements, etc. My question is that I haven't figured out which non-AMEX card is best? I shop at a lot of small businesses that don't accept AMEX. My Non-AMEXs are Continental Visa, Priority Club Visa, AA V/MC, Chase Freedom, & Citi Premier Pass

Which card do you all use? If there's a really good one that I'm missing please let me know!

Nic Rogers likes this.
  2. I use an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card as my primary and a 2% Schwab (FIA) Visa Signature card....unless I am working on a sign up bonus. Then I do the sign up bonus (like the US Airways Mastercard) and then go back to using the AMEX gold card.

3. Omar's_Coming
    Original Member

Omar's_Coming Silver Member

Status Points:
    i rotate my non-AMEX card to be whatever citi/chase/barkleys card i'm running a bonus off. seems to work pretty well

buschoi and miles and smiles like this.
  4. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Fidelity AmEx that gives 2 Air Canada miles (*A) per $1 spent anywhere and never has a fee.

Of course that's after you run the table on all the promo new card bonuses' spends.

Seen a couple posts that the CO card has a promo with double miles after 2K spend. Haven't gotten it myself but intriguing.

For a few people the no-fee-ever Amtrak Visa with it's 32K bonus and 25K 1:1 miles transferable to CO annually is a good free fit, especially for a back-up. ($200 required AmTrak purchase required for transfer but can be a refundable ticket.)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends to some degree on what your favorite programs are. E.g., doesn't help to earn Priority Club points if you never stay at their properties and thus wouldn't value their points very much.

I am rotating quite a bit since a both Chase and Citi have been sending me bonus offers for the BA and AA cards I have. When those end, I'll likely go back to my trusty old UA VISA, since that's where most of my travel is.

Another factor: foreign charges go on BA VISA thanks to no forex fee. Car rentals go on Continental MC due to primary rental coverage.

6. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have so many credit cards it get to be a challenge at times deciding what to use. I start with the card that I am working to me a spenmd requirement for bonus miles/points. Next up is the SPG Amex. Then the Citi AAdvantage Visa where the Amex is not accepted. I am currently working on a $4,000 spend requirement for my latest Citi AAdvantage Business Visa.

Later today, I will use the Priority Club Visa for a phantom weekend stay at HIX, as this will get bonus points for spend at the hotel.

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use my AMEX MR for the double points on gas and groceries, then whatever card I need to meet a spend on. I retired my SPG AMEX after I hit 60,000 starpoints. I have read about the Chase Sapphire as a possible VISA card that transfers to a few airlines, but haven't gotten that card myself.

travelingmore likes this.
  8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did I miss something in the T&C for the SPG AmEx? Can you only earn 60,000 per year? Or are you saying that that is enough of a points hoard for you and so then you move on to accumulating for other purposes?

9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think you might want to consider adding the Hyatt VISA. There is an annual fee, but it's waived the first year, and the enrollment bonus is two free nights in any hotel. A pretty great benefit, and the card comes with no ForEx fee, which is a biggie for me on international travel. Card holders are automatically given the Platinum membership level. Hyatt points are nice to have, and 5,000 to 8,000 will get you a free night at many more than decent properties. Whether there will be a retention bonus after the first year has been the subject of a lot of speculation, but the first year, IMO, is a no-brainer if you're looking for a good non-AmEx card. I am mostly using it now in place of my CapitalOne VISA (which is another I'd recommend for the lack of ForEx fee, no annual fee and 1.25% cash back), as I value Hyatt points at more than 1.25 cents each. But either of these, IMO, is a winner. If you have no international travel, the benefits are somewhat diminished and I'd then pick the Hyatt over the CapOne.

Kaanapali likes this.
  10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the swing vote for many on the Hyatt Visa will be whether they add anything to retain the HV card for years 2 and up (ie once you have to pay the annual fee for the card). I suspect something will be announced (maybe additional stay/night credit, maybe points or perhaps even a one free night bonus for retention)...but we shall see within a couple of months!

buschoi likes this.
  11. Wings
    Original Member

Wings Silver Member

Status Points:
    Off topic, but holy cow how in the world did you already accumulate over 2300 status points? Impressive!

sagefemme52 and Kaanapali like this.
  12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I said nothing about SPG limiting your points. Since SPG gives bonuses for transfers of 20,000 (or multiples), I stopped using my card when I hit 60,000. Getting to 80,000 would take me way too long. SPG is great, but so are many other cards with their larger bonuses. YMMV.

buschoi likes this.
  13. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you use your points for airline miles rather than SPG stays?

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a 2000 point sign-up offer with the MilePoint VISA card. Unfortunately my credit score doesn't allow me to apply for yet another one :)

(just kidding)

15. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I probably will. Of course, if SPG offers any good transfer promos this year, I certainly will look at those

buschoi likes this.
  16. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are my primary cards:

AMEX Premier Gold for all flights and most "large" purchases
    AMEX SPG for general daily spend
    PenFed Visa Platinum for gasoline (5% cb)
    Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa for anywhere AMEX is not accepted
    Capital One for any international expenses (0% ForEx)

I have a number of cards that are sitting in the drawer. Discover More, Choice Privileges Visa, AMEX Blue, etc. Most of these cards are there because old they are old lines, or high limits, and no annual fees. I typically charge 1 or 2 misc. items every 6 months just to show activity on them.

17. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    2% Schwab
    Current flavor of spend fulfill

18. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Schwab 2% is also my 1st/2nd to go card besides the SPG AMEX. I have recently started using Chase-Priority Club Visa for Groceries/Restaurant/Gasoline just to build up some goodwill with Chase with any future card application.

miles and smiles likes this.
  19. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing the same with my PC Visa. I realize now (after my first Chase rejection) that i need to put some attention to improving my relationship with Chase (as opposed to just receiving bonuses from them).

buschoi likes this.
  20. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Chase wants our relationship more than anything else. As posted in another thread, I want to build up the long-term relationship for future card application success rather than being short-sighted ripping "just" the short-term benefits given Chase has a lot of great travel cards and some awesome sign-up benefits.

21. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree.... I haven't even considered applying for the Hyatt Visa because of the lack of 2nd year (and after) benefits. IHG Visa is one that I have and will keep. Marriott Visa is next on my list to get unless some amazing sign-up offer pops up. I know for sure though I want to keep Chase cards for long-term. I don't want Chase to view me as a churner and cut me off from the long-term game.

22. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing that has changed is that, on the Freedom card, for which I've had the predecessor for years, is that I now get bonus points for also having a checking account with them. I like that. I don't like the quarterly bonus system nearly as much as I liked the 3% always on grocery and drug (which was 5% when I got the card), but I do like the relationship bonus.