BsAs/Mendoza in July?

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by DCtrAAveler, Feb 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thinking about making my first trip to South America, specifically Buenos Aires (with possible side trip to Mendiza) in July, as I like to take a trip someplace new for my birthday every year. I know July will be winter in South America, so I may encounter some variable weather, but what should I expect in terms of level of activity? I imagine this may be "off-season," so is there a slower pace, different level of service, location closures, etc? I'm really interested in wine and might want to take a side trip to Mendoza - would wineries be open for tastings/tours this time of year? Sorry to be a bit general in my questions. Really just trying to get a sense for what I might expect that time of year to help me decide on whether or not to make the trip then or postpone to another time. Cheers, all, for any advice you can share.

CharlesG and harvson3 like this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Winter weather in Buenos Aires is quite pleasant; it's much like a cold Los Angeles winter. Snow is a very, very rare event. If you don't bring a thick-enough jacket, you can always buy one in leather.

Contrary to your expectations, summer in Bs. As. is when everyone leaves for vacation and the city is emptier. Winter is work time (with some school holidays).

As for the pace of service ... well, welcome to Argentina. Your food will be worth the wait if you've chosen the restaurant correctly. ;)

CharlesG, Gaucho and DCtrAAveler like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wineries will be open. Make sure to make reservations.... walk ins are not always welcome.

CharlesG likes this.
  4. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Winter in Buenos Aires Province is my favourite time of the year. Dry sunny days which makes a visit into the capital a far more comfortable experience than the hot humid days of summer. Yes it can be a bit chilly if the sun isn't shining and the day is dull but those days are few and far between. Great conditions for walking and seeing the sights.

CharlesG likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with the above except for the fact that our winters seem to have gotten more humid as of late... it rains more than it used to... nothing to worry about but do be prepared for the occasional wet weather.

EZEIZA and CharlesG like this.
  6. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, all, for your advice and encouragement. I have Argentina on my radar, still, but not for July. Looks like I'm headed for the Mediterranean instead. I may check out the Sept/Oct timeframe instead.

CharlesG likes this.
  7. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should go live in Scotland.....you'll soon see what wet is. :D
    Must say the winters over the last five years here have been splendid. Last winter was especially dry.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well yes... nothing beats the North Sea weather when it comes to rainy and humid.....

EZEIZA likes this.