British upgrades?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by letsgetawaybaby22, Mar 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. letsgetawaybaby22

letsgetawaybaby22 New Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know what class I have to book British airways international flight to upgrade using my miles? And does it have to be economy or premium economy

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    daemon14 likes this.
  3. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Important to take heed of the note below the chart on the page linked above. On BA, "additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges" can be rather substantial.

*Standard booking lead times apply, please click here for details. Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.

daemon14 likes this.
  4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing to remember is even if you have the right class of tix you may not be able to upgrade. You can only upgrade on flights where there are reward seats available for redemption, it doesn't matter if half the cabin you want to upgrade to is empty.

daemon14 likes this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To add on to everything said here, if you want to upgrade to CW/J, you'll need to have a WT+ ticket. There needs to be award availability for the CW ticket in order for the UUA (Upgrade Using Avios) to occur. If one segment includes a departure from the UK (not a connection < 24 hours), you'll also have to pay a higher APD when you apply the upgrade.

Toula likes this.
  6. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a further reference point, they seem to release additional reward seats 7 days out. I'm flying to CDG via LHR next Sunday 25 March. At 4 p.m. on 18 March there were no seats available for upgrade from WT+ to J. At 9.01 p.m. Eastern time another 3 seats came available for upgrades.

So if you can not upgrade at time of purchase it is probably worth monitoring exactly 7 days out.

Whatwasthat... likes this.
  7. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Status Points:

Now that's really interesting/good to know! I've pretty much figured that if I didn't book something 6 - 9 months out I was out of luck. Thanks for the glimmer of hope:) !

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do need to correct my posting above. The time they release seats 7 days out is when the clock rolls over past midnight. So it is midnight east coast, 9.01 pm West Coast.

Never believe it is impossible to get a redemption in higher classes on BA. They often release seats closer to departure. I know we were able to use the Companion pass in First Class last year with only about 5 weeks to go until departure.

9. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    There won't be any extra APD due for WT+ to CW, as only WT qualifies for the "reduced" APD rate. Of course, I've tried to explain this to DL/AF about pricing Premium Voyageur tickets ex-UK, and they don't seem to get it. I have verified that BA charge the full rate for WT+ tickets. (WT->WT+/CW would charge more APD, but who does that upgrade?)

10. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I upgraded from WT+ to Club World. The upgrade from SFO-LHR-CDG (not stopping over) cost me 17,000 Avios and $174. I think it is a bargain compared to what they charge for the CW seats.