British Colonial Hilton Nassau hotel

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Canarsie, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a trip report of this property from November 2010, during the week of Thanksgiving:

When I checked in and went into my room, the room was not made up. I then went to the Executive Lounge and they promptly assigned me a slightly better corner room with a view of the water. They also apologized profusely, to which I replied that it was no problem at all.

Although a resort fee was included in my really inexpensive room rate, the maid was tipped a couple of extra dollars. Suddenly my room was filled with extra towels, toiletries and full-sized bottles of water, and I did not even ask for them! The service at this property has been excellent thus far, and the staff friendly and welcoming, and they remember my name when they see me. I declined a complimentary bottle of wine delivered to my door simply because I do not drink alcoholic beverages and I did not want to check luggage on my way back to the United States. I also received a complimentary miniature box of Bahamian rum cake. I eventually received two more just before checking out of this property, and they were delicious.

The property is very nice, but the private beach is not very clean. With what I noticed was a constant pouring of water just to the west of the beach, combined with the cruise ships passing by, possibly leaking fuel and oil, I am loathe to go into the water. The pool and grounds were nicely manicured, but beware of the rats scurrying about at night. I have seen at least a half-dozen of them while on the grounds, and I watched them scurrying about the pool area from the Executive Lounge balcony on the seventh floor.

The food in the Executive Lounge was good while I was there: for example, one night there was some kind of what I believe to be a seafood canape, assorted pickled vegetables, pita bread slices with two types of hummus, fresh broccoli, celery, carrots and cucumber strips, assorted cheese and crackers, assorted peppers and little squares of bread topped with brie cheese and a white grape sliver. There are assorted drinks, but children under the age of 12 are not allowed in the Executive Lounge while the drinks are served.

The room is clean and comfortable, with a flat-screen television, a desk and a refrigerator to keep the water chilled. There is a bathtub and a shower, plenty of mirrors, and the standard set of toiletries and amenities.

The staff of the Executive Lounge was friendly and helpful. For example, they arranged for a snorkeling excursion on the east end of New Providence Island that was convenient and reasonably priced, and I was able to have it included on my bill. They also gave recommendations on sights to see and where to eat.

I was even invited to a manager’s reception one evening, where they served miniature conch salads and other appetizers along with drinks in the bar area of the restaurant. The staff made sure to mingle and introduce themselves to the guests, including me.

Overall, I would recommend this property as of now, but not as a destination unless you want to be close to downtown Nassau. Then again, with the rate I paid, it cannot be beat...

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's a business hotel more than a resort. And it's the Caribbean, service is decent for the area but not great for other resort areas. Housekeeping can be inconsistent. I don't like that the club lounge doesn't have individual bottles of water, just a big one to pour from.

You can buy up to the buffet if you don't want Continental breakfast in the lounge. Breakfast is in a restaurant with no view which is a shame.

My first room here was dirty as well, and with noisy pipes, they told me there was nothing they could do because they were full. I asked whether as a Diamond I was supposed to get the worst room in the category? They said I was upgraded, I pointed out I was not. And they found me a new room.

The hotel works for being close to the strip where the cruise ships dock, the shops where their tourists flock. If you understand it as a business hotel and not as a beach resort it works perfectly well.

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed. There are some good dining options located within walking distance of this property.
    Uphill from the Hilton is Hotel Graycliff, with an upscale dining option: www.graycliff.com
    Across the street from the Hilton is Conch Fritters, a burger joint but also serving more than acceptable local items such as conch.
    There is also the Fish Fry, which is a conglomeration of restaurant shacks (some nice, some not so nice) that serve very fresh local seafood. This is a really cheap and downscale place which when I'm in the right frame of mind is just what I'm looking for[​IMG]

Hopefully you'll see some junkanoo's practicing like we did, LOTS of fun.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was actually at the hotel for the New Years Day Junkanoo parade last year, really quite something!

5. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

PDX1KWanabe Active Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here during the remodel in Feb of 09. After waiting multiple hours to get into our room and the we woke to hammers and saws every morning! The hotel beach left much to be desired so we took the bus to Cable Beach and rented scooters (much cheaper than near the hotel) and headed to Lyford Kay Bay and spent the day on Jaws beach. As Sweet Wilie says "it as a business hotel and not as a beach resort".