British Airways Visa 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus is Back

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gleff, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    US customers rejoice, Chase bank has brought back the 100,000 mile signup bonus for the British Airways Visa.

Apparently it was supposed to launch tomorrow, Wednesday, in the early afternoon. But the offer is up early on the British Airways Executive Club website if you log into your account. (This was actually noticed in another thread by tivoboy.)

The offer is intended to last through the month of April, though of course it could get pulled earlier than that.

* 50,000 bonus miles after first purchase
    * 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 on the card within three months.

Clicking on the banner link for the offer when I log into my BA Executive Club account takes me to an application link which doesn't mention details of the signup bonus. Personally I'd wait until tomorrow (Wednesday), just in case there's a better splash page that goes up, prior to applying.

UPDATE: Offer is now fully details on the British Airways Executive Club website, is scheduled to last through May 6 (though it could get pulled early), and can be seen here:
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/creditcards/public/en_us?

There’s a $95 annual fee for the card.

Key features:
    • Earns 1.25 miles per dollar. This way, it’s as good for earning BA miles as spend on a Starwood Amex (though of course without the same flexibility)
    • No foreign currency transaction fees. International travelers need one of those, and this card provides a reasonable compromise between cost and earning from among the cards with this benefit (same fee as the Hyatt card with better earn, much lower fee than the Continetnal Presidential Plus Mastercard, the United Visa that comes with lounge membership, or the Amex Platinum).
    • Free companion award ticket after $30,000 in spend each year. This makes even awards which are pretty pricey through the BA chart much more manageable. You must fly British Airways metal, though, and that does mean incurring some pretty high fuel surcharges.
    Why do you want 100k BA miles? The British Airways program is pretty good provided you’re willing to swallow the fuel surcharges they add onto award tickets.

For a US to Europe award, assume about $450 per person. Flying via London to Africa it can be double that. Still, when you’re getting a $10,000 or $20,000 airline ticket it can be worthwhile.

The 100,000 miles don’t have to be spent on British Airways, of course. They’ve even started adding fuel surcharges onto American Airlines awards (since American has started including such charges in fares). But the charges are quite reasonable on some partners like Cathay Pacific. 100,000 miles is enough for a roundtrip business class award on Cathay Pacific from the US to much of Asia, and total taxes and fees are likely to be in the $250 per person range.

One other caveat about British Airways is that awards on its partners should only be booked using a single partner or a single partner plus BA itself. Awards on two partners get very expensive miles-wise.

British Airways award availability, especially in premium cabins, is outstanding. If you want first class awards from the West Coast of the US to Europe, or from London to South Africa or Kenya, BA is among the most likely to deliver. And if you want multiple award seats on a single flight, again BA comes out on top — I often find six or more award seats in business and first on the Houston-London flight, for instance, and similar offerings from Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Philadelphia. Of course you can fly American Airlines or Alaska as your one partner to get to those gateway cities.

Another monster bonus just as Randy was predicting!

2. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOW, so tempting. But I guess I have to pass on this one. Got denied for the CO card about two months ago.:(

3. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I canceled my last one a month ago and got the CO card. Am I eligible for this?

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It is unlikely - but not impossible - that someone could get this bonus a second time. On the whole though I would guess that most folks will not be successful.

5. PackHorse
    Original Member

PackHorse Active Member

Status Points:
    I got the BA Visa last month when it had the 50K bonus. Does anyone think they would up the bonus to 100K if I contacted customer service (maybe if I agreed to spend the $2500 in the next 3 months)?

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Worth a try. Chase has been good about giving the better bonus when people have asked (specifically on the CO card).

Andrew Sabata likes this.
  7. I got this deal about 15 months ago, last time BA had the 100k offer. Cancelled it about 6 months ago. Any chance chase will let you double dip on this one?

8. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seeing a 50,000 mile offer, but not the 100k....

9. The Points Guy
    Original Member

The Points Guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    100k won't be ready until tomorrow (Wednesday). I've been promised by my ad rep to have the application link tomorrow, so I'll post once its live.

I used my last BA card sign up bonus to fly BA First and ended up flying right behind Madonna on the outbound and rode in the New First on the return.

Hoping for similar good fortune this time around!

Cody and neuatomic like this.
  10. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good! Never had a BA Chase card, but do have a United Chase. Think that matters?

11. The Points Guy
    Original Member

The Points Guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope. As long as you have good credit, you should be fine.

12. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase CSR stated this is a once a lifetime card. Thus if you had this card previously you are ineligible for this offer.

I've had this card for 10 years and now pay no annual fee so I asked if I could upgrade to this promo and was told no.

13. phonehome
    Original Member

phonehome Active Member

Status Points:
    I've heard before that you can only get 1 Chase card every 6 months, and this is consistent with my own past rejections that were less than 6 months after another application.

Is this rule set in stone? Does it apply to any application within 6 months, or just to rejections?

14. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the Pricing and Terms section of the application (bolding mine):

Replying to this offer: If you omit any information on the form, we may deny your request for an account. If applicable, Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. The information about the costs of the card described in this form is accurate as of 2/22/2010. This information may have changed after that date. To find out what may have changed, write to us at Cardmember Service, P.O. Box 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043.

I'm not clear though if the reference to Rewards Program is BA such that if you recently had a BA card, you would not eligible. Or if it means that you recently applied for say a CO card, you would not be eligible.

15. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmm... This is amazing. Hopefully they will approve me.

I got the 50k CO card 2 months ago...

16. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I missed last years. But reading the past forum posts I always worried about the insane fuel charges tied to the BA awards. Based on the OP, it sounds like they are very reasonable through other partner airlines? Did others find this to be the case? I'm a coach flyer so $90ish annual fee plus $450 taxes/fuel won't be a great redemption if this isn't the case

17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    They're much lower on airlines like Cathay Pacific, e.g. I usually see taxes/fees around $250 total for flights to South Asia ("Far East" in BA parlance). But if you don't live in a Cathay Pacific gateway city remember that you'll wind up buying domestic segments separately since you won't want to combine American or Alaska with Cathay on a BA award because the miles bump tremendously.

And you can always give a business class ticket to a friend.. :)

18. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad I heeded the warning to wait for a great upcoming offer. I haven't been able to convince my wife of the virtues of churning for miles (yet...?), but I am in need of a no foreign transaction card, so here we go! Thanks gleff!

On a side note, I saw the post here without realizing it was gleff posting, then when I saw it on View from the Wing, I was upset that someone had just copy-pasted all that information onto MP without giving credit. I suppose I can forgive a little self-plagiarizing. :D

19. Minneapolis
    Original Member

Minneapolis Active Member

Status Points:
    Is it relatively easy to find a BA or AA flight across the Atlantic for 50k miles?

20. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that Chase is getting tougher on people who get their cards just to get the bonuses. I got 3 Chase Cards in 2010 - United, Cont. and Priority Club. When I applied for their AARP 5% cashback card in Feb. 2011, I was denied because "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us". I had already closed my United Card, so I had 2 cards open at the time. Personally I believe the problem was that I had been using my Chase cards just for the minimum spend and the bonus miles, and then putting the cards away. Now I am using my PC Visa a fair amount, will probably pay the annual fee for my CO card next month, then apply for another Chase card afterward. YMMV.

21. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's times like these I wish I lived in the US.

22. Force
    Original Member

Force Active Member

Status Points:
    Chase has a policy of one card within a 6 month period, among other considerations. Exception can be made but it is a highly YMMV situation.

23. PackHorse
    Original Member

PackHorse Active Member

Status Points:
    I got the BA Visa (with 50K bonus) and UA Select Visa within 2 months of each other and didn't have a problem. So, I don't think its set in stone. I do know that Chase pays close attention to your credit inquiries and used Expedia with me.

24. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still not working this morning. Saw the offer briefly last night but after doing my husband's application I couldn't and still can't it back.

25. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's now live on BA.com, no need to log in.