British Airways Lounge at LAX and LHR?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by garyst16, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was wondering if anyone has any information on the BA lounge at LAX? I will be flying LAX-LHR at the end of November and will most likely have time prior to my flight.

Am also wondering about the lounge at LHR? I must assume this would be BA's premier location. I have a 3.5 hour layover at LHR and will definitely be making use of the lounge!

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    what do you want to know about the OW lounge at LAX?

Here is some info: http://jal-pak.blogspot.com/2009/12/november-trip-report-part-iii-lax.html

What else you want to know other than those mentioned in my trip report

garyst16 likes this.
  3. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    What class are you flying as his will determine which lounge(s) you can access.

4. ExpatExp

ExpatExp Silver Member

Status Points:
    On which airline are you traveling? You mention the BA lounge but you do not say that you are actually flying on BA. Your choice of airline and the class of service will determine which terminal you use and which lounges are available.

5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Club World is what I think they call their Business Class. I am flying BA

6. ExpatExp

ExpatExp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok. You'll be departing from T5 on the LAX route. As an AA EXP, you will have access to the BA First lounge in T5 (also known as Galleries First). This is a very high quality complex. Full details are available here.

NorFlyer and garyst16 like this.
  7. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Departing you will have access to the joint OneWorld Business Class lounge.

When you arrive at LHR you will also have access to the Arrivals Lounge.

garyst16 likes this.
  8. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    The OW lounge at the Bradley terminal in LAX is nothing special so I wouldn't recommend arriving especially early for your outbound flight. The BA lounge in T5 at LHR on the other hand is a pretty spectacular. Try to book a visit to the spa as soon as you can and, if you're a plane geek, grab a seat by one of the huge windows overlooking the runway and you'll have good viewing all day. Enjoy the trip.

garyst16 likes this.
  9. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second the comments above. The LHR T5 Galleries First is a great lounge, spacious, great decor, fab champagne bar.
    TBIT BA/QF Lounge is by comparison an absolute shocker. Cramped, poor food offerings and absolutely atrocious Wi-fi.
    BYO Dongle and if you arrive late to the airport you haven't missed much ;)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

garyst16 likes this.
  10. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to disagree here. The OW F lounge at LAX is a very nice lounge. It's not in the same class as the LHR GF, but compared to most other lounges, it is great. Lots of comfortable seats, decent food, and high end booze freely available. And free internet of course.

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you are talking about the F lounge? The internet works fine for me there. And JW Blue and Woodford bourbon are not poor offerings. They usually have a decent Champagne on offer too. The food isn't great, but it's not great at any US lounge, and even the LHR GF doesn't have great food.

miles and smiles likes this.
  12. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes I'm pretty sure I'm talking about the F Lounge. My comment was regarding the food which is IMHO pretty poor by other QF/BA F Lounge standards. The Wi-fi speeds I have experienced have ranged from total inability to connect ( especially at night prior to multiple QF departures) to barely acceptable for reading emails. Perhaps I've been unlucky.
    If transiting LAX then the Lounge would be and is passable but as the OP is leaving from LAX I wouldn't be making a special effort to get some extra time there.
    I must stress I am a fairly harsh critic and tend to judge all lounges against my favourite : SYD F

garyst16 and stimpy like this.
  13. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe there are more people there at night. I usually take an afternoon BA flight and it's never been too busy there IME.

Princess Fiona likes this.
  14. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a Zoo at night :eek: Quieter in the morning. Hopefully the OP gets lucky :)

stimpy likes this.
  15. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now you have me worried. I'll be there in a few weeks taking the late BA flight around 20:30. Is it bad at that hour? Or are you talking later?

16. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight departs LAX at 16:30 and I have a 3 hour layover at LHR...

stimpy likes this.
  17. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wi-fi has improved a bit on my recent visit but it still sucks. Got disconnected or have super slow connection at times. I believe both F and J lounges share the same wi-fi network.

stimpy likes this.
  18. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sounds perfect. The lounge at LAX isn't busy at that time, and 3 hours is enough for you to pass through security, make the long walk past all the shops to the lounge facility, maybe take a shower there, and relax in the GF lounge with some nice Champagne and some food that will stick to your stomach. Make sure you go down the escalator in the terminal and continue straight to the lounge. If you turn around the other way, there is only a business class lounge.

garyst16 and Princess Fiona like this.
  19. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sincerely appreciate all the responses to my question! Thank MP'ers!

stimpy and Princess Fiona like this.
  20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

21. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was not impressed with the LAX-F-lounge compared with other lounges, it was allright. I had high expectations since it was an "alliance"-lounge.

Downside:
    - view just to a building under construction
    - very few power-outlets for computers
    - it is rather narrow and long så felt a bit "cramped" when a lot of peole was there

Upside:
    - decent snacks/food/drinks etc.
    - good showers
    - much better than waiting airside in the terminal

Arrivals-lounge at LHR has breakfast until around noon, closes at 2pm. Unless you would like a massage, I would head to Galleries First (you can find showers there as well). Arrivals lounge is landside, you will have to clear security anyway, but you would also need to clear immigrations if visiting the Arrivals lounge.

tommy777 likes this.
  22. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I am departing the T-3 lounge on the LHR-LAX route and am now sitting in AA's very poor excuse for a F lounge...this is one of the worst Flagship Lounges I have ever used...very unimpressed. I mean really, Smirnoff in a First Class lounge? However, on the flight from LAX to LHR, I was in the BA's South F lounge and that was very nice.

23. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire? If so, you might be able to use the appropriate BA lounge instead under OW rules - or even the appropriate CX lounge.

Pity that you aren't doing the LAX-LHR on BA as well.

garyst16 likes this.
  24. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am exec plat on AA so could have used the other lounges, but I was at an H gate in T-3 with only a little over an hour prior to boarding so didn't really have a lot of time to hit the other lounges...were they close and I just didn't see them?

Skye1 and stimpy like this.
  25. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not often in T3 so can't say for sure, but IIRC (from hazy memory) the BA lounges are pretty close to the AA lounges - at the main terminal end of the bridge-with-travelators, although (again IIRC) the CX lounges are further away, inside the main departure lounge near the transfer desks.