British Airways has been embroiled in a row with musicians

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by rwoman, May 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Telegraph: British Airways has been embroiled in a row with musicians

I know I would worry if an expensive instrument was put in the hold...

:(

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If these traveling musicians are unhappy, they should consider a different carrier.

LETTERBOY, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree that who we fly with can be a choice...not sure it's always the case.. ;)

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  4. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite rightly they'll just have to stop feeling somewhat special and fall in line with other fare paying passengers.

I believe they can still buy a neighbouring seat if they want to keep their instrument close...which seems about right to me.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to say that I do feel sorry for violinists, if they're being caught out by this rule change: a violin in a normal case is a great deal less obtrusive and obstructive than many of the "standard" wheelies that passengers bring on board, yet it seems like they might now fall foul of the new rule. The same goes for similar instruments like flutes, if they're affected too. However, although I don't have a case to measure, I'd be surprised if a standard violin case was longer than the standard 22-inch limit.

What I agree with is the idea that guitars and the like should not have a special exemption.

By the time you reach cello-size instruments, they've long/always required an extra seat if you want to bring them on board. Having said that, a proper travelling cello or bass case (for carriage in the hold) is almost indestructible.

LETTERBOY likes this.