British Airways Avios for US Domestic Travel

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nonstopski, Feb 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to attempt to book a flight from the Washington DC area (IAD, DCA, BWI) to Missouri (MCI, STL). The flight is on a weekend in early April.

So far, looking on the Avios website, almost nothing is available. Will I have more luck if I book in segments, such as DCA - CLT, CLT - MCI?

The problem with that is it completely ruins the affordability of Avios. Not to mention, most of these open flights only have First class available. :/

Am I missing something crucial here? These seem close to impossible/pain in the butt to book. I'm ok with spending some time on them if I can make them work, just currently not having much luck.

satman40 likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA is currently not seeing any US award space. Be patient; rumor is that it will get fixed soon.

BA does price per segment - unless AA/US fly these routes non-stop, you'll be paying per segment to the connecting point.

nonstopski and satman40 like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA flies stl/dca non stop.

Are you trying to book from The BA site.

That also have a NYC phone number.

Booked an IND LAX not too long ago with AVIOS

After Feb 15, AA might start waiving some phone fees...for partner airlines...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Don't bother using BA's site for the initial availability search. Use AA/US instead. Once you find (non-stop) availability, then try to book with BA.

satman40 likes this.
  5. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ideally would like to fly to Kansas City (MCI) from DCA/BWI/IAD @satman40 , but would take STL if it was a good enough deal.

So I basically have to call BA to book. But just because it's available on AA or USA, doesn't make it available on BA, right?

Based on the Avios calculator, it looks like DCA to MCI is 7500 avios (there are direct flights on US Airways - currently 30k one way on US Air website). Does BA's calculator actually calculate legitimate routes, versus just taking the two airports and calculating how many miles/zones that is? I assume it's smarter than that.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  6. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    You should be able to book on the BA website without calling, but you need to find flights on which US/AA are offering cheap award space (25K economy RT/12.5k one-way). I would expect more-or-less the same availability to show up via BA. And calling BA is a miserable experience. Skip it if you possibly can.

satman40 likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Google "Booking Avios",calling would be my last resort,

First time is the hardest, after that easy, and will save you a lot of AA miles...

traveltoomuch likes this.
  8. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    With BA up and fully working again with US Airways flights, unfortunately there's no availability on any routes on the dates I looked. Luckily, I was able to hack a trip together with some Delta and United miles at low redemption levels.

That said, at some point that 50k bonus on the BA Visa is looking more and more useful for US domestic travel. As long as it's booked, I guess, way way ahead of time?

9. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    I'm delighted to hear than BA and US are playing well together again. Too bad that didn't get it fixed in time for the trip I was taking last weekend. :(

Most of my domestic Avios bookings have been last-minute, on both Alaska and US. Sometimes you'll find award availability, sometimes not. Example: CLT-MSY has space tonight (F only) and tomorrow (F and Y). The shuttle BOS-DCA has nothing in Y on any date I checked, though it has some F space. Last year around this time I was seeing great availability on the shuttle.

DCA-MCI non-stops seem to have poor award availability. I'm seeing seven seats on 18 Feb, though.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    nonstopski likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the route more than anything else. There's no "rule" that booking way in advance = more inventory. Sometimes it is the last minute stuff which just works. And remember that it is up to AA to make the award space available to partners for booking.