British Airways 3,000 AVIOS RealtyTrac ILLEGITIMATE

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by aaucello, Feb 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. aaucello

aaucello Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for posting. waiting to see what happens.

3. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    only 3,000 mile mistake. that is about what Cartera gave out after their 83,000 mile fiasco.

But it also wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    such a waste of time

5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    a waste of two minutes to try for 3k avios miles?

the CEO reached out to parties involved, personally, to say what happened. we didn't have to buy anything to receive the points, so this is much more tame than the Cartera/AA ordeal. As long as I don't start getting marketing offers from Realtytrac, then I won't complain.

6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    the actual time spent in signing up is 2 hours. Reading about it, checking if it really works, frustration with the signup process and following up take a lot more...

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why did you do it? (assuming you did)

I didn't follow this deal, but I agree with the sentiment that I wouldn't spend two hours on something that earns me 3k Avios if that's what it takes.

mrredskin and aaucello like this.
  8. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I spent a grand total of 10 to 15 minutes reading about the deal, finding it and signing up all three members of my household account. So if I get nothing, I can live with the loss of a quarter hour. I was even prepared for the ordeal of calling to cancel before learning that can be done online / that our accounts will be canceled by the merchant anyway.

mrredskin and aaucello like this.
  9. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    follow-up: my 3000 avios pts are showing as pending in my BA shopping history. i hope they don't disappear but if they do, oh well. nothing ventured, nothing gained. next stop is the Nordstrom deal. ;)

10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i spent 30 seconds reading about it. saw it was a legit site, you could cancel within 7 days, and no CC required. that's all i needed to know.

FWIW, just tried to log on to actually try searching for a house and to see 90% of the details of the house, i was given an option to "reactivate" the account.

so, what that tells me is they still have a record of my signup and didn't totally delete the accounts. BS!

11. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    my points are now showing they will be reversed. kinda bummed not but unexpected. i am still going to call on Monday to have them remove my credit card info.

12. coolguy0007

coolguy0007 Active Member

Status Points:
    My points have been reversed. :(

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

13. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I complained to BA eStore about this issue and they replied saying that they will give 3K Avios to those customers who extended their subscription with RealtyTrack beyond 7-days trial. I canceled within 5 days, but I don't remember in T&C any requirements to keep account longer than 7 days in order to get a bonus. Was it a correct statement?

14. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I e-mailed the BA store about it, this is the response that I received:

When I had logged in to cancel, my account was already cancelled - it gave me the option to reactivate.

15. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, correct, you can reactivate your account and pay $49.95, but it is hardly worth 3K Avios....

My point is that nowhere in T&C was said to keep account beyond a trial period to get 3K Avios points.

autolycus likes this.
  16. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what mine showed as well. I never saw even pending miles. I did get a call from Realtytrac asking if I was interested in subscribing, since I had accessed their site after they had killed it. Clearly Realtrac is taking the position that anyone who signed up through the BA webstore was "fraudulently" trying to get the points and not really interested in signing up for Realtytrac. That's fine, but they need to not call me and not store any of my personal data on their servers.

aaucello likes this.
  17. MightyTravels

MightyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was the one who sent TPG the hint. I subscribed a couple of days earlier and my miles posted just fine.

You never know with these things - UR had several of such deals last years and some posted some did not.

18. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh wells.

20 minutes lost but no $ so i can live with it

19. OceanCruiser7

OceanCruiser7 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yea, as they say YMMV!