British Airways 100,000 Mile Card is Back

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Million Mile Secrets, Apr 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick post to let folks know that the British Airways 100,000 mile card is back!

Here's the link to the card on the Chase website -->https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/british-airways-credit-card.aspx#

Not surprisingly, you have to spend more to get the full 100,000 miles (unlike last time where they practically gave away the 100,000 miles).

I suspect that more cards will have such tiered spending requirements to get the full sign - up bonus.

So spending $20,000 within the 1st 12 months or $1,667 per month gets you the extra 50,000 miles.
    • You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after your first use of the card
    • 25,000 bonus Avios after you make $10,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening
    • Plus an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you make an additional $10,000 in purchases also within the first year of account opening
    Interestingly, Chase acknowledges in the terms of the offer that you'll pay fuel surcharges on your award ticket. They must have learned from last year's debacle which generated lots of angry complaints!

I'll be writing a detailed series of posts in my blog on how to use Avios and the hidden value in that program soon.

Personally, I like the new Avios for their cheap domestic flights and see it as an important part of the miles and points toolkit!

I'd have written more, but I really must be off to bed. I told Emily, an hour ago, that I'd be in bed "in 10 minutes, honey."

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too high of a spend for me... Not bad for someone who wants to go after a companion pass though!

Kalboz and Million Mile Secrets like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just like my household...

50K points is probably good enough for me. All I'd use it for is domestic trips, those rare flights when it makes more sense to fly AA to SFO than pay for an expensive ticket on UA.

4. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha! Ha!

I wonder if you can get the card and the bonus again? Who wants to be a guinea pig?

And you can redeem BA miles on Alaska Airlines as well (for you West Coast folks), though you have to call to make the booking and deal with their terrible customer service reps. And pay $25.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very high for me too ... I mean I can make the $20K/year in spend but I have to refrain from getting any more cards with spending threshold for 12 months.

6. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the biggest issue for me and the 20k spend is that not only would it be a little difficult to reach, but that is also 20k Avios points I'm getting instead of 20k (or more, with bonus categories) of something else, like Chase or SPG points, that I value much more.

Not a bad deal, but much less desireable than last year. Seems to be a trend, with the Cap 1 and now the BA 100k both being much less friendly...boo!

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure Chase has an elephant's memory when it comes to getting a bonus again ...

And you can avoid the fee booking on AS since it's not bookable online. Don't let them say no! I've had to literally argue rules with BA agents but it has saved me at least $100 in the past 6 months.

perryplatypus and Kalboz like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is going to throw those dogmatic (mostly expat) members on the BA boards into a real tizzy.:D

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    25k avios...1.25 miles/dollar on the BA card.

10. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bummer, I was hoping this would come back this year but I don't see how it is worth it. I could meet the minimum spend but it would take me the full year. With BA's recent miles devaluation its hard to see how this is worth it, especially when most of us get well over 100k miles and points per churn.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually think this is a great deal.

For us NYC and East Coast based travelers you can get great Redemption to the Caribbean. Almost as good as Hawaii.

Also destinations in South America i.e, EZE, LIM and SCL should be great value too.

If I didn't get the 100k last year I would definitely have to consider applying for this card.

50k after first spend is equal to UA Explorer's best offer.

If you are going to Europe the UA Explorer card is better.

But, like I mentioned above, if you are going to South America British Airways card is better.

I also want to know if anybody who got the card last May is going to get this time around.

LETTERBOY, Kalboz and perryplatypus like this.
  12. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    50k after first purchase + $95 annual fee isn't too bad tho is it?

We become a bit spoiled.

But if you aren't near a major oneworld hub I can understand your frustrations.

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd have to disagree. For the west coast to Europe, both BA and UA charge 50K each way in business, but BA costs $600 more in fuel surcharges.

Edit: Never mind, you fixed it!

Kalboz and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  14. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    I meant Explorer when I said "this card". Thanks for catching that and sorry for the confusion. I will edit my post accordingly.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly out of PDX and I would agree that those who live by HUBs are spoiled, however, out here in the airline hinterlands things are a bit more difficult. 50k devalued BA miles is not worth the credit inquiry for me and neither is the effort for 100k.

16. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    I closed my CO card to get the bonus on UA explorer. The CO card was appearing in my online account for about 5 months or so and then it disappeared. I needed some statements and I called them to restore access and they were unable to find my account in their system however which way they tried. I wonder if this is the case for others. If this is just a glitch, maybe they have also forgotten about the bonus.

17. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you're tellin me there's a chance!

18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thing is, the CO card and the UA card can be debated that they're different products. Can't be said with the BA card.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA is partners with AS, so you can leverage those routes. Unfortunately, the Hawaii prices that those of us in L.A. enjoy don't happen for PDXers.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was only wondering if the fact that Chase has no record of my CO card means that they also have no record of having given me a bonus. I can't test it since CO is no longer available (or is it? Chase seems to have forgotten about this link). We all know Chase's policy. That doesn't mean that there are no glitches in the implementation. After all many of our tricks rely on bad programming.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. mykid

mykid Member

Status Points:
    Can someone please explain the steps to use to redeem ba avios to book a flight on american airlines from PHL to CUN ? Thanks

TheTravelAbstract and Kalboz like this.
  22. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    mailbroad and Kalboz like this.
  23. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    mailbroad and Kalboz like this.
  24. mykid

mykid Member

Status Points: