Bringing Orchid Plants Back from Taiwan

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HiIslands, May 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know the rules and requirements for bringing orchid plants (not cut flowers) into the US from Taiwan? I have searched the USDA web site to no avail. I am always entranced by the orchid plants in Taiwan and would like to bring some back on my next trip, but don't want to break any laws or have them confiscated upon entry. Advice?

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about the US but I did bring some singapore orchids back to Canada before. It needed a photosantary certificate, not on CITES endangered species n import permit

perryplatypus and HiIslands like this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    perryplatypus and HiIslands like this.
  4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a lot of trouble interpreting the USDA webpages on bringing orchids from Taiwan, so I paid a visit to the US Dept. of Ag office at HNL.

As it turns out, since I am not an importer or bringing back a lot of orchids the work required to get the entry documentation is just not worth it. I need a phytosanitary certificate and a certificate certifying that the orchids are not endangered species. Sellers at the Taipei Weekend Flower Market don't usually have these certificates on hand there, so I would have to go to the Taiwan Dept. of Ag office to obtain them. Upon entry in the U.S., I would have to go to the Dept. of Ag inspection station where they would, in all likelihood, put the orchids into quarantine for a period of time. Then I would have to return to pick them up.

I think I'll just go on buying orchids at our local orchid shows in Hawaii. More expensive, yes, but not when you consider the time expenditure involved.