Briggs & Riley Rollaboard at Costco

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Captain Oveur, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw the 20" Baseline Widebody available at a local Costco for $189.

Model u420XW-18. Chocolate color only.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. will have to take a look at my local costco. Thanks for sharing.

3. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    Winter Park and Altamonte Springs didn't have any, but South Orlando has about 40 of them. Item # is 633364.

4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ohio stores do not have that item in stock. Will be in PA tomorrow and check there.

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scottsdale, AZ had them. Phoenix and Chandler didn't.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Would you guys get the B&R over say a similar model Travelpro?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't B&R has a life time warranty and Travelpro doesn't?

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. I thought I read something on FT that B&R doesn't honor lifetime when bought by a third party. Or am I thinking of another maker?

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That just means you'll have an ugly bag for longer.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a 22" from both, and use both. Last year or two I switched to the B&R because it looks sleeker, meaning I'm less likely to have someone stop me to size the bag.

Some TravelPro lines have a lifetime warranty, but even those are limited. I paid to have the wheels and handle fixed on my TP. Not much, and the bag has held up well. The B&R warranty is very generous, they make a big deal over it (e.g., saying they cover airline damage).

I'm thinking of switching to a 4-wheel bag because I always travel with a computer backpack that gets very heavy; I rest it on top of the roll-aboard when dragging it around, which means the weight of the backpack (and some of the roll-aboard) is on my arm and side.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: picked up a B&R spinner bag. They've reduced the height to 20" (to comply with international bins) but made the bag wider. Got it home and couldn't fit all of the stuff I usually carry in my old B&R 22", so I returned it and am thinking of a Victorinox WT 22" Dual-Caster, which seems to be about the same size as my old B&R 22".

My old B&R 22" fits in many bins wheels-first, but not all. Especially on BA A319s and a few AA domestic flights, I need to put it in sideways (which is rude, I know, but I'm not willing to give up the carrying space).

12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: I did get a Victorinox WT 22" Dual-Caster. It's posted specs are larger than the old B&R 22", but when I got it home and measured them, it turns out to be about 1" smaller. So, it should fit better in the bins than the B&R 22", and the four wheels should really take a lot of the strain off my arm and back. Strange thing is that there is no inside pocket on it.

Sorry to give up on B&R, but they don't have a 22" at all, much less a 4-wheeled one.

13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I finally got around to buying this from Costco today. Will see how I like it on my first trip on Tuesday.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep us updated on how you will like it.

15. chrisgayle885

chrisgayle885 Active Member

Status Points:
    Nice share! But recently while browsing I came across MonsterBags online store which has great collection of luggage with reasonably low price as compared to other online stores. They have great collection of rollaboard by Travelpro Luggage in different sizes and price range. So I would suggest you, check their site for more variations in luggage as well as discount in price.

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got ours at eBags, using the free trial ShopRunner for free 2-day shipping. They're cheaper at Costco (although from comments it seems there are reasons why this is so) but I got to select several bags I was interested in, get them all delivered in two days, measure and compare them against each other and my old bag, and then return the ones I decided against, with free return shipping. I'd tried taking my old bag (stuffed with stuff to make it heavy) to a luggage store, moving the stuff to a bag I was considering, and doing the comparison there, but the store didn't have everything I wanted to compare in stock.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, you're a professional/dedicated luggage shopper, if I may say so.. :)

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for saying so!

But, honestly, I'm much more of a fanatical traveler than dedicated shopper. I love my old B&R 21" roll-aboard, because it's the bag that holds the most stuff that still looks slim (so less likely to get hassled) and fits in the bins, often (but not always) wheels-first. But, especially with a laptop backpack on top, the weight on my arms was killing my shoulder and sides. My partner felt the same way, so we decided to check out a 4-wheel bag, but couldn't find any that hold as much as the B&R. We decided to be thorough and find the bag that came closest while still being well made, etc.

And of course, one reason we went with eBags is that they're in the AAdvantageEShopping portal, so we earned a lot of bonus miles :)

19. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP- get a new avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am used to it now.
    It makes it easy to find his posts--which usually are worthwhile.

He explained that it is his Drivers License Photo. Although it would be better to show up on the biometrics of his CLEAR card.