Briggs and Riley on Sale thru Sierra Trading Post (tonight only)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by mrredskin, Feb 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sierratradingpost.com has a 40% off coupon/keycode (SAFWD2413) for Wednesday (now!) and it is good on all of their Briggs and Riley suitcases. I got two of the 21" baseline upright expandables for myself and fiance. It was $165 each, shipped.

In order to get free shipping, you have to have their droid app. Add your purchase to your cart on their website while logged in, first, and put the keycode in. Then, go to the app and log in and go to your cart to check out. Shipping will then be free.

I never looked for a travel product forum on here, so my bad if there is one and I posted in wrong spot

2. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a loyal fan of B&R until I decided to switch to a four-wheel model. To my dismay, B&R's four-wheel models are too small for me. They won't hold near as much as the 22" B&R I'd been using for years. We actually bought several brands online, stuffed them with our usual load, and the B&R didn't hold near as much. So I switched to Victorinox for the extra capacity, which still fits wheels-first in almost all overhead bins.

N965VJ and autolycus like this.
  3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    B & R are made in China, for those interested.

N965VJ likes this.
  4. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you missed out on this yesterday, sign up for their Deal Flyer emails. Just about any given time during the month you'll get anywhere from 30% to 45% off a good portion of what they sell. About once a month you'll get email offering 35% off any one item, which is a great way to snag a deal on a more expensive item that does fall under the other sales.

Added bonus, place the order through their Android App, and currently you'll get free shipping on any order.

mrredskin and anabolism like this.
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    good to know. i was surprised that B&R wasn't excluded for the 40% off.

autolycus and N965VJ like this.
  6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take a made in China with a lifetime warranty over a 5 year made in USA warranty ANY day.

autolycus and N965VJ like this.
  7. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    I haven't read the warranty, but I highly doubt they offer a full lifetime warranty. Read the fine print of your warranty and I bet it says limited lifetime warranty.
    In regards to USA made, I prefer keeping fellow Americans in their jobs and contributing to the growth of our country and not China's communist economy where they have no child labor laws or any laws protecting their labor force from cruel and unfair treatment.

8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    what brand luggage do you have and where is it made? what's the warranty for it?

and i think their policy speaks for itself. the opinions of those here and on FT have been nothing short of positive.

9. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    I actually never knocked the quality of the product, only pointed out the manufacturing origin. Just because you posted the discount doesn't mean you should take my informative response as a personal attack.
    The brand and/or warranty on my luggage is irrelevant, I do go out of my way to purchase American made products and products made in countries that don't use child labor, etc...

10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    you could point out the origin of a lot of products like that - probably just like the electronic device you're using to reply with. i'm not taking offense to anything. i'm just wondering which American made luggage you have that came with a similar warranty for a comparable price. So, with respect to what I posted, yes it is relevant.

point is: you shouldn't hijack a thread without offering up other solutions to support your agenda

11. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for this info. Very helpful as I am looking to switch to the 4wheel type. As a petite woman it is tough to lug my 'normal' roller board plus computer through airports. Need the extra capacity though for the 'beautification products' and all the 4wheelers I looked at were 21" to allow for the extra wheels.

anabolism likes this.
  12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    We actually went first to a local luggage store, with our then-current B&R bag stuffed with a usual load, transferred the contents to some sample luggage they had, to see (1) if it would fit, and (2) how the luggage handled rolling it around with a computer backpack on top. We then bought several types of luggage on line (at ebags, which offers free returns) to do the same tests on a wider variety. We also measured and compared the interior and exterior dimensions of all bags (turns out the reported measurements don't match what we measured).

The bag we ended up with, which we are happy with, is what ebags calls Victorinox - Werks Traveler 4.0 WT 22 Dual-Caster Spinners

Overall, much easier to carry around, since under most conditions the bags holds its own weight. In contrast, a two-wheeled bag puts a lot of weight on one's arm and side. Add a heavy computer backpack to the top, and the weight can be a real pain (literally). The downside to the four-wheel bags is that they can be a bit unstable, especially if packed top-heavy. One needs to be careful when going downhill, and when positioning on escalators. They also can be hard to maneuver on carpeting (e.g., hotel hallways) and when going uphill or on uneven surfaces, but in those cases one can tilt it and use it like a conventional two-wheeled bag.

Betty Boop likes this.
  13. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And don't forget to secure them well when stowing them on a train or subway. I see people taken out by rogue spinner suitcases on MARTA on a weekly basis.