BREAKING NEWS: Four Seasons George V gains Palace rating

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Sep 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Four Seasons George V gains Palace rating:)

[​IMG]

The Four Seasons George V has joined a select number of Paris properties to be awarded the Palace hotel rating by the French government.

The hotel joins prestigious properties including the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome, the Plaza Athenee, Le Meurice and Le Bristol in obtaining France’s recently introduced top hotel rating.

The Four Seasons George V, Paris was voted Best Business Hotel in Western Europe at last year’s Business Traveller Awards (click here for more information), and is located in the city’s Golden Triangle shopping district, close to the Champs Elysee.

For more information visit fourseasons.com, and for a look at new luxury hotels in Paris, see French Renaissance in the September 2011 edition of Business Traveller.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/four-seasons-george-v-gains-palace-rating

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know the complete list of Paris hotels that have the "palace" rating?

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    SEE ALSO ALL 5 BELOW IN PICTURES!:)

Here are all Palace rated hotels in France at least for now, there could always be new hotels in the future it has been announced lately! The newest Palace rated hotel is the Four Seasons George V in Paris....see above!

The French government announced the eight recipients of its new 'palace' hotel rating May 5, dealing a blow to some of Paris's most famous hotels.

The 'palace' rating is an official designation above five stars awarded by the French tourism authorities -- it's designed to help travelers identify the cream of the country's many swanky hotels.

A total of four Paris properties were given the award -- the Bristol, the Meurice, the Park Hyatt and the Plaza Athenee.

A further four outside the capital were also lauded; the Palais in Biarritz; the Airelles and Cheval Blanc in Alpine resort Courchevel; and the Grand Hotel Cap Ferrat, near Nice.

However, several high-profile properties were not deemed worthy, raising eyebrows in the French tourism industry.

The George V by Four Seasons, a world-famous property just off the Champs-Élysées, was excluded, despite boasting a Michelin-starred restaurant, one of the most luxurious spas in Paris and 30 suites with private terraces.

Also omitted was the Ritz Paris, widely regarded as one of the most prestigious hotels in the world which has played host to guests including Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Charlie Chaplin, Coco Chanel and Princess Diana.

Hotel de Crillon, which was constructed in 1758 as a palace for France's monarchy (who were then executed in front of it 35 years later during the revolution) didn't make the list either, despite being one of the oldest luxury properties in the world.

For the man in charge of the Plaza Athenee, the Dorchester Group's Francois Delahaye, the omissions were too much.

"I have a bitter taste of victory in my mouth," he told AFP.

"That the Ritz and especially the George V were not on the list removes all credibility from the award."

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Bristol Hotel Paris:

[​IMG]

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Le Meurice Paris:

[​IMG]

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Park Hyatt Paris:

[​IMG]

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The newest Palace rated hotel, the Four Seasons George V Paris:

[​IMG]

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Plaza Athenee Paris:

[​IMG]

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope you like it?

But be aware that the list can easily change and the palace rated hotels will grow in the future, some announcements are expected this November, rumor has it!:cool:

10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not including the Ritz is quite appropriate. Sure, lots of famous people, all of whom are now long dead, stayed there. I haven't stayed there but have walked through the public rooms several times and it comes across as place where the glory faded long ago (much like the Waldorf=Astoria in NYC).

uggboy likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your insights! Which of the hotels rated now as a palace is a real gem in your opinion?
    We have not stayed in any of the hotels here listed so far, dreaming of the Bristol in the future for a stay.:)

12. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been a regular Park Hyatt guest, so that's the only one I am very familiar with, and I quite like it. However, I do think that the FS George V gets the most "best in town" kudos overall.

uggboy likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to both the Ritz and Waldorf in the past five years. The Waldorf, even the "Towers" section, is woefully tired and will disappoint on service.

The Ritz is certainly not in its glory days, but it hasn't aged anywhere near as bad as the way the Waldorf has. I found the service at the Ritz to remain strong...though perhaps there were a few scuffs on the walls.

MSPeconomist, RichardInSF and uggboy like this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm fortunate to have been a guest at each of these properties (as well as at the FS GV) in the last ten years, several on multiple occasions. While the FS GV remains my favorite, the Plaza Athenee is a close second for me - and is IMHO the most French of the properties. (The FS may have refined at bit too much away.) I vary my stays between these two.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone has their personal favorites- although I have not heard anyone really complain about the FS ever. Good thoughts on the various "palaces" of Paris.

uggboy likes this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Crillon is wonderful if you're in at least a deluxe double room, especially if you are a repeat guest (for concierge service, etc.), but it has some superior doubles and especially deluxe singles (with one queen bed) that are beyond disappointing, simply terrible. However, the building and location are wonderful and I used to love that their multi-starred restaurant was open on Sunday nights.

uggboy likes this.
  17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taillevent, until 2007, the longest continuously 3-star rated restaurant - and still my favorite in Paris - serves dinner Monday through Friday. Closed on weekends. Nice.

Cinq is open on weekends, as is Ducasse at the PA.

uggboy likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking of les Ambassadeurs in the Crillon, which I think was Michelin three star for a long time and then may have lost a star or two. On one stay, just after they switched to Sunday brunch and no service for Sunday night dinner, the concierge sent me over to the (two star?) restaurant in the Bristol. IIRC, Taillevent is a few blocks away, off of the Champs Elyssees.

uggboy likes this.