Breaking News: Changes to Same-Day Confirmed Policy Officially Announced by Delta Air Lines

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canarsie, Apr 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Changes to the policy known as Same-Day Confirmed were officially announced moments ago by Delta Air Lines.

Starting on Tuesday, April 23, 2013, you will be able to request a change on the day of your any time prior to the departure time of your original flight within the same calendar day — but the same booking class as your original ticket must now be available in order to successfully implement the change.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand if you have a T fare SDC to a Y, but if I bought a Y, why can't I pick any lower fare class. That alone makes this a stupid decision that will p*** off their business travelers.

akcae and AMPfromBNA like this.
  4. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Give me an example of there being T inventory but no Y inventory. Other than the buggy E bucket, I'm yet to see a cheap bucket with inventory when the higher buckets are empty.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been a very loyal delta customer, holding platinum status, for the past few years. Traveling for work a ton, I relied on the SDC to accomodate my changing travel needs as a business customer. Meetings run long or get canceled, and the ability to make a quick, confirmed swap of flights was a highly valuable benefit of medallion status.

This will be the nail in the coffin with Delta, for me. I understand the diminishing value of the skypeso. I understand the need to monetize first class. I am patient with online booking nightmares. But if another airline is going to offer me better flexibility on same day changes, I will gladly move my $25k+ annual airline budget somewhere else, and I suspect other business travelers will do the same.

I acknowledge that same-day standby will still be available, and likely not impede my ability to get on an earlier or later flight. Unfortunately, standby represents a much higher risk, and thus will not satisfy my needs.

So let me ask the group: Where should I move my business? Does UA or AA provide competitive benefits including SDC to their upper tiers?

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL's policy was the best for those last-minute changes, especially for moving bookings up a few hours. UA's policy is similar to the new Delta policy in fare bucket requirements, but lets you confirm +/- 24 hours so you have a bigger window. AA everyone pays $75 and there is a special "SDC fare bucket" that governs space and is same day. DL's went from being different from the others - dramatically better for true last-minute changes and worse for larger or more planned changes to just marginally worse across the board.

AMPfromBNA likes this.
  8. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta has affirmed its position as the Wing of Satan.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA is in my experience still the worst at this point even with their SDC improvements this year as their SDC comes out of a special fare bucket - E - that is rarely open when you need it. The flight must generally have at least Y4 available for SDC bucket E to show 1 or more availability and they always charge $75 to even top tier elites. They have free standby but you almost certainly wont get an upgrade on standby.

DL is very similar to United now instead of being the best major airline in SDC. They could even be worse if they don't start opening lower fare buckets on day of departure after Apr 23 as part of this change - united is pretty good about doing that. My guess is DL won't be based on what I see on EF for common DL flights I take out of SEA. Nothing by Y open on DoD for all but one of them. Very disappointed.

AMPfromBNA likes this.
  10. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    All other economy fare buckets are a subset of Y. If there is no Y the flight is sold out or oversld

United is excellent as there is no 3 hour window for the elite fee waiver.

11. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL will now charge everyone to SDC onto a flight (even if it's 9+ in every bucket) that is more than three hours from their ticketed flight. This is worse than UA to an absurd degree.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  12. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point - DL is still ahead of AA but behind United.

13. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just re-read the real DL.com page (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en...t-changes-refunds/sameday-travel-changes.html) vs this article (https://www.worldagentdirect.com/deltaair/news/article.do?newsArticleId=1989) posted later on.

The public DL.com site uses the same verbiage for Apr 23+ as they do in the "current/old" policy which is "You can only be rebooked in the same class of service as your original flight."

At this time, the public DL.com site does not say anything about "must be same fare code" in the Apr 23 change section.

I can only hope that this is in fact the case and if they don't restrict SDC to original ticketed fare code this would be a net improvement for elites and kettles.

Of course, DL.com could just be unspecific or wrong.

14. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking around, this might be the exact boost that Frontier Airlines needs to stay afloat, since they offer free SDC for their "Summit" tier after 25k miles. They should jump on this change and offer Delta DM/PM a Summit-tier status challenge. Frontier may not have a first class section - but since I'm not trying to game anyways, I'll take the SDC benefit over "unlimited complimentary space-available upgrades".

Living in a non delta hub, I have to connect regardless, so it might as well be Denver. Its just too bad they only offer two flights a day out of my home airport (versus Delta's 15+).

15. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may have used SDC once or twice in the last couple years. I never really understood it. (Only when I check in at a kiosk at the airport.) So, I am not sure or understand what the new changes mean? Yes, I did read through the DL SDC changes. But for me to understand... what are some examples that OLD changes were good and how the NEW changes might be good or bad. Is it the 24hr change from the within 3hr change.. a bad thing? Or I am answering my own question... that I would or wouldn't able to SDC within the 24hr before my flight?:confused:

I guess... flight examples/situations might be helpful. :confused:

travelinmike33 likes this.
  16. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    BondAir007:

Here is a real life example, from my travel history. I was returning SLC-BNA. There is one direct flight every evening around 5pm. I concluded my business earlier than expected, so I was able to SDC onto a 9am SLC-ATL-BNA, which got me home much much earlier.

Under the new rules (as they are believed to be interpreted), this would only now be possible if 1) the same fare class was available (L class rebooked into L class), and 2) I was willing to pay $50 since it is more than 3 hours earlier, even if I am a DM/PM.

BondAir007 likes this.
  17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old policy was that you could SDC within 3 hours of the time of departure, as long as there was a seat available in the class of service. New policy is that you can SDC any time during day of departure, but that the fare bucket you purchased needs to be available. More than 3 hours from original departure and you pay.

Old system: get done early, call delta on way to airport, and confirm on to the next flight for free if they were selling any tickets for it. Drop in to Sky Club and wait for flight to start boarding. As a confirmed passenger be upgrade-eligible and not need to wait out standby.

New system: more flexibility when you request, but need to have the same fare bucket available or you need to standby. In the same situation as above, probably get on the flight, but without any guarantee so you need to hang out at the gate as a standby pax. Not able to confirm onto nearly-full flights if you have a discounted fare. likely get a crappy seat.

akcae and BondAir007 like this.
  18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or in my case, I switched onto earlier flights to get home sooner into a Y1 seat probably half a dozen times last year. May or may not have made it on as standby under new policy, but I dislike standing by enough that if I can't confirm I'mm often just sit down for some dinner at OFS.

19. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To mattsteg and AMPfromBNA thank you. Very helpful regarding to both old and new SDC rules.

20. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    "It was a hard decision; but it was the right one. As part our commitment to broadening customer choice, DL offers more and better ways for you to enjoy confirmed Same-Day Changes and even to fly from PHL to FCO for 635k SM, not all of which will be in J..... "

This is...well, you know what it is.

But! Please remain with DL, you HVC, and keep away from my CPU-eligible UA flights....:) Especially the one I want to fly with Captain Denny in the future.

akcae and DiverDave like this.
  21. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had booked a few flights with Delta yesterday....and today with this news becoming official I cancelled all of them. I've also just taken two people that are true HVC (international J and such) with me, hello someone new. At this point I'm leaning towards UA, despite the fact I despise them, but I want an airline that values me.

DiverDave and USAF_Pride like this.
  22. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new verbiage is "You can only be rebooked in the same class of service as your original flight." The old verbiage is "You will be booked in the same class of service you were originally ticketed." The distinction is that under the old system, you'd consume Y inventory, they would book you into whatever you had been in before. The new rule is that you can only consume the bucket that you bought.

The "old" rule as stated in the fare rules is "SEAT INVENTORY MUST BE AVAILABLE IN THE CABIN
    APPLICABLE TO THE FARE CHARGED".

The key takeaway is that "class of service" means booking code not cabin.

23. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I would concur --if you're in a higher fare and moving to another flight that has lower fare availability, there must be equal/higher fare availability too.

24. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business vs. First coded flights would be more of an issue.

25. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a mapping between fare bases and what class they book into on flights with the front cabin marketed as business. I'm sure that will be allowed.