Brazillian Visa

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by andhoova, Nov 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have experience as to how long it takes? I'm in DC so I'll be heading to the Brazilian Consulate first thing tomorrow morning. Hoping to have it done within a week!

Flyer1976, adrianors and Newscience like this.
  2. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I have had several Brazilian visas I have never done it by going directly to consulate. I have heard that it can be much quicker going to consulate and going back to pick it up as long as all the paperwork is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

adrianors, RDJ and Newscience like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    It took 24 or 48 hours if I recollect correctly. It was a 5 year visa, which will expire half way through World Cup :( Tourist is easier than Temp II

adrianors and Newscience like this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went through our corporate visa company. Took about a week. For business visa, got a 10-year visa!

Newscience and anileze like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although it's often an "extra thing to do" to personally travel to a foreign consulate to obtain a visa, my experience with doing this other consulates (haven't yet visited Brazil) has been superb! I've also found that it's a great way to meet people from the country that you are planning to visit. And if you try just a little bit, you may be able to "break the ice" and learn a thing or two about that country - I have!

anileze likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think folks at the Brazilian Consulate in Manhattan are very friendly :)

Newscience likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear! My experience dealing with various Embassies/Consulates in the D.C. area has been quite positive overall. Perhaps because their presence in our nation's capital city usually has many more staff assigned there?

8. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    How recent was your experience there?

anileze likes this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all Embassies and Consulates have same friendly disposition - Brazil is a reciprocity visa-fee country :)

adrianors likes this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a five year visa expiring in 2014, so it was June 09. There are many visa service companies in NYC who can do your paperwork for a fee plus a $10 extra charge by the Brazilian Consulate.

11. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only ask as my experience there in 2006 was quite friendly & efficient. Since I can easily get to the Consulate myself, I don't have a need for a visa service, at this point in time.

anileze likes this.
  12. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Here was my experience at the Brazilian Consulate in DC this morning. I arrived around 9:10 10 minutes or so after the consulate opened. I was the 8th person in line for a Visa. The personnel were pleasant. When it was my turn I was asked to write a letter explaining why I needed an exception requiring my Visa be granted by 11/21/13. In the end, I was told, "keep your fingers crossed and check the status on the website."

My only concern at this point is that I am traveling to Argentina regardless of a Brazilian Visa being granted or not, I just wanted to cross into Brazil for a few nights. Because you have to leave your passport at the consulate will I be able to retrieve my passport regardless of the status of my Visa on 11/20/13?

IDGflygirl, anileze and Garp74 like this.
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to get the visa by Friday. All my Brazilian visas have been issued within 36-48 hrs. Also do the reciprocity fee thing for Argentina before leaving.

adrianors likes this.
  14. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to follow-up. I received my Visa on Friday 11/15/13. The website showed they were available for collection, however when I arrived I was told they were not ready. After insisting that the website indicated they were available the clerk told me he was going to check and came back 10 minutes later with our passports, Visa's included. At the end of the day, this process was a pain. They tell you the Visa's will take over a month then ask you to write a letter with the excuse that is requiring you to need the exception in processing time. Half of the people requesting Visa's were asking for exceptions to get them faster. Maybe i'm wrong, but it seems like they intentionally add artificially delays unless you request and practically beg for an exception which they seem to always grant.

anileze likes this.
  15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Minimum" being the key word there. Everyday they post a sign in the entranceway stating how long Visa applications are taking to process. When I submitted my application on 11/12/13 it said Vjsa's were processing not before 12/4/13.

17. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miami is a good consulate for Brazil visa, it seems they guaranteed 48 hour service and were friendly enough

adrianors likes this.
  18. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's much easier (or possible at all) to get one at the consulate in your home jurisdiction.

I asked about getting one at the Boston consulate, and they said it would take an (unnecessarily) long time to process since I didn't live there.

If not a US citizen, well then I'm not sure.

19. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not pretty sure about visas (I am Brazilian), but I went to DC to get to my daughter a Brazilian Passport and believe it or not, I did the request on Friday morning in DC and on Saturday USPS was delivering the passport in Charlotte, NC.. So, I believe they will be really quick on giving you back your passport with the visa.. should take no more than one week.

anileze likes this.
  20. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why that?

anileze likes this.