Brazil World Cup Visa news

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jbcarioca, May 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the newspaper O Globo today there is to be a strike commencing today in Brazilian Consulates throughout the North America and Europe. The strike is directed specifically to stop issuance of World Cup visas. The statements say the srikers want salary increases above the level of inflations and "...an end to persecution, discrimination, retaliation and threats of dismissal...". Furtehr the strike "...is [intended to have immediate impact on] the capacity of the country to process the growing number of visitor visas for attending the 2014 World Cup events...". As a result the following Brazilian Consulates are now unable to process visas: New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, Atlanta, Hartford, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Toronto, Montreal, Brussels, Bern, Rome, Milan, Rotterdam and Geneva.

The translations are mine so I am responsible for errors, if any. The strikers claim they sent petitions to President Dilma Rousseff three years ago without response.

This strike is part of a much larger group of stokes now under way and planned for before and possibly during the World Cup. Other posts describe those.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would politicians truly care for people, this strike could have been avoided.

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the Brazil Federal Government eliminated foreign language requirements for politically appointed Ambassadors,among others, steadily rising tensions with the foreign service have continued and the politicisation of the Foreign Ministry processing functions has steadily increased, not just the political functions. Both the Federal Police and Foreign Ministry professional staffers have had, it appears, steadily dropping morale during the last several years. Without a doubt these events are partly about workers resentments and partly about the upcoming presidential election. Obviously, I am expressing my personal opinion rather than reporting what someone else has said, although I'm confident that many would agree with my views.

Newscience, MX and uggboy like this.
  4. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boston consulate not listed? Either way, happy I have my visa for Brazil already, although I won't be headed down for the WC.

Newscience, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed it was not listed in O Globo. Somehow I think it was an oversight in the list but the Consulate in Boston probably isn't working either. Who knows, maybe it is open for business.

6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for posting this report. I am going to Brazil during World Cup but not attending World Cup (but I do want to!). Your post and concern about the ability to get our Visa caused me to contact a visa expediter. It seems the main issue and delays are focused on the visas for World Cup and are not impacting regular tourist visa wait times. Nonetheless we went with using the expediter as our appointment was in June and didn't want to risk the passport not being ready in time for our trip.
    So, thanks for posting this!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Government of Brazil can fix this problem in a flash. Just stop requiring a visa. Simple and problem solved.

jbcarioca and Garp74 like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have already declared their willingness to do just that. The only reason Brazil requires visa for US citizens is because the US requires a visa for Brazilians. the price you pay for your Brazilian visa is the price Brazilians pay for US ones. It is called reciprocity. BTW, citizens of most countries do NOT need a visa to enter Brazil., including all of the EU, Russia, the Bahamas and many many others. Of course none of those require visa for Brazilians either.
    Brazilians did not need visa for the US until 1978 when the US imposed visa requirements as retaliation for alleged human rights abuses by Brazil. The government of that era has been gone for decades but the policy remains. Brazil meets all the requirements for visa waiver but the formalities still are in process after more than two years. Everyone I know thinks this is silly, but...my Brazilian half thinks reciprocity is a good thing. if you don't like it, complain to your US Senators and Congressmen. They're the ones who ned to agitate for removal of this ridiculous policy. The US Chamber of Commerce is in favour too as are airlines and hotels and almost all major merchants.

daninstl likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree with you. It seems like a game of chicken at this point to see who will blink first. It's such a pain. Not as bad as my Saudi visa process right now but just a pain in general (on both sides I'd say).

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once upon a time I went to Saudi about once per week for a day. A new single entry visa required every time. My passports from the era I still have. The added pages made them very, very bulky. I hate Visas!

daninstl likes this.
  11. mathew5

mathew5 New Member

Status Points:
    If they strike between the world cup they may risk the security of thousands of people from around the world. I think this is a very serious matter which needs to be rectified ASAP asthe world cupis just a few days later.