Brazil wine regions

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jbcarioca, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everybody knows about Chilean and Argentine wines (we must agree Argentine wines are the best in homage to Alex) but Brazil has quite a few regions too and is now producing some very good wines. here is a site showing the regions with soem good links:

http://www.winesfrombrazil.com/i_regioesprodutoras.php

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From that site I get the impression that most of the consumption is domestic. How well have they been developing the international market? Are most of the wineries small production operations?

The chart on that site shows less than $3m USD per year in exports; considering the overhead in running a winery, that seems to me to be pretty limited.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Little Brazilian wine is exported, most of the little is to France and Italy. There are a number of excellent small producers. the only ones that are larger are Miolo, which exports also to the US and the UK, but is not an outstanding quality producer (a beautiful chateau and a great tour, though).

A new well funded company is producing wines in the northeast of Brazil and is ambitious about exports and now sells more abroad than they do in Brazil. They are producing surprisingly good wine and have quite a story, beginning with their production at 8 degrees south latitude, a tropical wine producer.
    http://vinibrasil.com.br/

The traditional producers are almost all Italian immigrants. There are some outstanding sparking wines and other types are rapidly improving. Thirty years ago when I had my first brazilian wine I swore off it until only a few years ago. It was awful sweet stuff.

We are far away from the Chilean and Argentine quality and quantity but our garage wines are there now and the larger production is gaining rapidly.

In addition Rio Grande do Sul is a wonderful place to visit.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brazil makes some decent sparkling wine....

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Adolfo Lona is my favorite, the Brut Rose specifically.
    http://www.adolfolona.com.br/

Of course Adolfo himself in Argentine, so Gaucho can approve of him, I think [​IMG]

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the inexpensive stuff made by Chandon Brazil is also (for the price) quite ok. The Chandon Brut Excellence was an eye opener when I tried it some 3-4 years ago. I will have to check out the Adolfo Lona, never tried it. I will say that some of the high end Brazilian sparklers, while top notch in quality, are sometimes priced at levels that make them 'questionable' purchases... its a demand thing I guess as they are made in horrendously small quantities and all the captains of Sao Paulo industry are buying them up.....

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no question about that. the best of the Brazilians are almost always 'garage' wines and cost far too much for any reasonable person. I may not be reasonable.[​IMG] The ones that are reasonably priced are the offerings of Rio Sol, a couple of Miolo, and there seem to be new sparkers often being very good quality and good buys. If you have approved of Chandon Brazil you'll like Adolfo Lona, i wager.

8. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would like to try that stuff, since you recommend it. Can I get somewhere near Ipanema? How much is it approximately?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite a few restaurants have it. Olympe has it for R$92. Some wine stores have it for varying prices. Where are you? Send me a conversation, please. I will make certain you get some. I might even feed you some myself. One must always take care of the Ostrich clan, after all. BTW, I buy direct from Adolfo Lona or through their Rio distributor and pay about R$28 per bottle. There are a group of friends who take a case or two each and we usually keep about 5-8 cases in stock at my house.