Brazil Visa requirements for US Citizens

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jbcarioca, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brazil follows reciprocity with the US. As a result the visa fee for US Citizen tourist visa processing is $140. If you think that is outrageous, think about how Brazilians feel wanting to enter the US.

• Passport (not a copy), must be valid for 6 months from date of entry, and contain at least one blank visa page
    • All visa applications must be made by filling out online the visa electronic form. The form must be printed and signed and presented at the consulate along with the delivery receipt ( with bar code )
    • One recent (2in x 2in) passport-photo, front view, white background. Snapshots or computer pictures are not accepted
    • A copy of a round-trip ticket or a booked itinerary showing travel to and from Brazil, confirming purchase of the ticket and passenger's name, itinerary, flight number and arrival/departure dates
    • A clear copy of a US driver's license or other proof of Residence such as utility bills
    • A copy of the US Alien Resident Card for foreign residents and/or a valid visa or document to return from Brazil to the US or to another country
    • Visa fee of $140 paid by US Postal Money Order
    All visas are issued by appointment only (reciprocity again) and exceptions are often made, but none are promised. You must apply at the Brazilian Consulate responsible for your place of residence. Here is a link for all Brazilian Consulates in the US and their areas of responsibility:
    http://www.brazilsf.org/other_consulates_eng.htm

2. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great info: As a follow up, a couple of notes on the consulate in DC

1. The lines are long. Expect and hour plus wait for each visit.
    2. The staff is [was] helpful. One of the visa apps I was dropping off had a mistake but the desk agent simply asked about it, then fixed the problem. Remember YMMV so try to not follow my lead, rather, try to be mistake free.
    3. While there is a posted minimum time period for visa app turn around, while I was waiting for my turn at the counter, I overheard someone trying to get a new visa for his new passport so that he could make it to Rio for his wedding that same week [he somehow lost his passport a day or two before]. The desk agent was understanding and willing to assist. Again, I'd advise against waiting for the last minute, but if an emergency does arise, it seems like one can get help.

Cheers -

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I know suggests that you're quite right. As you advise, it is much better not to need special treatment, even though they usually cooperate of you do need exceptional help.

4. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I will be going to Argentina and visiting Brazil at Iguazu Falls. Since I'm not coming through an airport in Brazil, I still need this visa, correct? And in getting the visa, I should be fine showing my air tickets that are through EZE?

I hope that the visa lasts for a while since it is so much trouble to get, I told my husband we will have to go back to Brazil and do Rio and some other stuff if we have the visa. I'm not upset about paying the fee, I just wish they would let you pay the fee there, like in Argentina. The problem is having to take time off work and go downtown to the consulate. Ugh!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is irritating, but take comfort in knowing the only reason the problem exists is that the Brazil procedures mimic the procedures of teh US for brazilians. Not to tough, and don;t require appointments months in advance, but still irritating. As part of the last reciprocity Brazil cisa for US are issued for either 5 or 10 years. They are meant to be for 10, but teh US still is doing some 5 for brazilians so...it goes.

I hate visas!:mad:

Lyssa likes this.
  6. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel quite lucky now because I no longer need a visa to Russia; Brazil has reciprocity now. Saves me a page per trip.

8. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, I really hope it is 10 years so I can get more value out of this visa. I don't feel I will be truly seeing Brazil just seeing one side of the falls.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    This will be my first time getting a visa in advance like this, I've never had to do it before and I have traveled a bit. I've paid for "airport visas" before but never had to go to a consulate and everything before.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't. We have lots of wonderful places to see and lots to do. Your husband can see all the futebol he can stand. Our cable has 46, yes 46, channels of futebol including UK, Italian, Spanish leagues as well as almsot everything in Brazil.

Not only that he can in Rio, watch Flamengo (the popular favorite, my brother-in-law), get beat by Botofogo (my mother-in-law) in turn beat by Vasco (my team). Just kidding. the typical winning order is the inverse of that, but Casco did beat Botofogo last weekend.

Did I mention that Brazilians like soccer? We also have professional beach volleyball teams.

The best parts of Brazil are the natural wonders and the 16th-17th century buildings, the music, the food and...:D

uggboy and Lyssa like this.
  11. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we see too much futebol when we travel. :) Somehow I always end up at a game when I just want to see another country (Venezuela, South Africa, etc). He is alreay talking about using our visas to go back for the confed cup or word cup . . .

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truthfully, please don't repeat this because i might lose my citizenship, I don't much like futebol. I pay close attention to the World Cup, even went to the Korea-Germany game in seoul, but I have never been to a game in Brazil.

Lyssa likes this.
  13. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, that's awesome! My husband is the opposite, obessed with soccer and living in the US. :) I forgot to add that also he is always on the lookout for cheap flights to Manchester, we will have to see a live Man U game someday (his fave team).

BTW, sorry this has gotten so off topic.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a thread dedicated to Brazil how could futebol be off-topic?:D

uggboy and Lyssa like this.
  15. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Visa service

I have no connection to this firm at all, but thought I'd report outstanding service from Travel Document Systems (TDS). I used their New York City office because I live in upstate NY. I sent our passports, application forms, photos, etc. to arrive Monday morning & I got the passports back Friday morning with 10-year Brazilian tourist visas attached.

They only charged $50 per passport, plus FedEx costs. Well worth it!

David

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey IndyDavid- great to hear- how long ago was that? The visa process seems to have become significantly longer in the last 2 months or so (waits up to 4 weeks).

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad that we are not US citizen in this case, as we do NOT need visas to visit Brazil!:)

We still remember our Sao Paulo visit way back in 2005 for 8 nights when the Grand Hyatt in Morumbi was sparkling new! Would like to go back in the future and stay there again! Wonderful city and Country!:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was this week! TDS got our passports Monday morning 4/25 and had them back in my hands this morning 4/29.

David

TRAVELSIG and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds quite outstanding. Thanks for telling about it.

Horse likes this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David for posting- that is exceptionally good.

21. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why didn't your stupid team score last night?!? I had my money on them to score first goal :) [/offtopic]

22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    AAArrrggghhhh!!!:eek::mad::(

SirRagnar likes this.