Brazil Federal Police threaten General Strike during the World Cup

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jbcarioca, May 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Brazil Federal Police (PF) provide not only airport security, but also immigration and departure passport processing and other essential services. They have had several protests of various types during the last months. Their union is having a meeting May 14 to decide whether to proceed with the general strike during the World Cup. The government has made proposals to the union, and according to the union the members are split 50/50 between wanting a general strike and not wanting one.

In a related matter, there has been signage in English only, posted within Federal Police passport issuance processing center at GIG (ONLY Brazilian citizens seeking new passport issuance and Federal Police workers can enter there) disparaging President Dilma and calling for her ouster. This quite strange and very provocative message is clearly directed towards PF staffers who work there, nearly all of whom read English, and/or Brazilian citizens applying for passports, many of whom also read English. Since non non-Brazilians can access the area my conclusion is that the intention is to avoid provoking the majority of Brazilians who might see the poster but cannot read English. Even stranger this poster is placed directly beneath the TV screen that everyone must watch who's waiting their turn in the processing queue. There has been exactly zero press comment about this AFAIK.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could spell chaos. We will see what happens. Interesting that it's 50/50 for / or against a strike.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remind me how Brazil is hosting the WC this year and Olympics in two years? :confused:

jbcarioca, uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Politics, probably.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    How? Very poorly. Were I a tourist, no matter how much a fan of the game there is zero chance I'd choose to come here during the Cup, much less the Olympics, for which numerous projects have not even begun, nor even completed the planning stage. We think of leaving during the Cup but are leaning towards the opinion that it may be easily to stay put. Very sad.

LETTERBOY and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If strikes like this were to happen during a World Cup or similar event BEFORE the Olympics were awarded to a country, I would hope that the Olympic Committee would avoid any place that has shown the potential for such problems.

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That might leave them with very few choices. I am not defending the choice of Brazil, but it is quite a difficult thing to know what might happen, even with Germany, for example- remember Munich Olympics? And the US with Atlanta? Factually I think such huge worldwide events are tempting targets for extremists of nearly every stripe, so it is very difficult to second-guess the Olympic Organizers and FIFA. That said, it's also pretty clear that we in Brazil almost never do anything on time, on budget and within specifications. Awarding both of these events to the same place is risky in itself, worse when there is no track record of successful management. I wonder why any place wants these events when the costs almost always exceed the benefits. I'm thinking not only of the ones above but all the unused stadiums in Korea and Japan, the near-disaster economically of Salt Lake City (resolved neatly by Mitt Romney). Only the already well-prepared seem to have been unscathed. As Soichi shows, a strongly authoritarian place can sometimes overwhelm the problems, but Brazil is nothing if not participatory, so we've no chance of making these events seem well-managed.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course we can't predict attacks at major events, but we can look for countries that can and will provide effective security without interfering with the purpose and enjoyment of the games. Efficiency and effectiveness doesn't need to be oppressive and overly annoying.

I'm thinking more of major disruptive strikes timed to coincide with major events, significant failures in finishing facilities on time, etc. as criteria that should be considered when these events are awarded to a country. I realize that such things can't be predicted perfectly either, but organizing committees can make their best guesses based on the country's track record and level of current functioning.

LETTERBOY likes this.