Brand Newbie

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jpm1908, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jpm1908

jpm1908 Member

Status Points:
    I am new to this forumnand hope to ask a few VERY basic questions. I am interesed in purchasing two first class tickets to Europe next summer:

1) I just received my Capital One Venture Card. May I apply for other cards and combine the points from multiple cards?
    2) any suggestions on what other cards to get? How many?
    3) does it make sense to join an airline mileage program as well?

My credit score is very high.

Thanks!

servo46250 and flyingdawg like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

To answer your first question, I don't believe there are any FF programs that will transfer into Capital One.

Based on your third question, it appears that you have not flown much, if at all. Is this correct?
    You might want to review the this thread and provide answers so that people may help: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/newbie-guide-picking-a-frequent-flyer-program.4121/

You mention you want 2 FC tickets for next summer. Will you be trying to earn all the points yourself or will there be 2 of you trying to earn the points?

servo46250, IDGflygirl and flyingdawg like this.
  3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coke bottle glasses leading the blind here but, technically there are no " rules" in the miles/points game ( outside of those enforced by the companies we are trying to get one over on) but there are a lot of generally accepted guidelines.

1) the C1 Venture card doesn't have any partners so the only chance on combining points would be other C1 products, and I have no clue on how that works as I only have the one card.

2)with the goal being FC to Europe I would shoot for the highest available sign-up bonuses in conjunction with beng able to meet the minimum spends, from an airline card and/ or a bank rewards point card that has transfer partners. FC via the C1 Venture card is going to require more spend than all of the best sign-ups out there combined.

3) join them all ( it's free)

Pointers
    - don't ever carry a balance, if you do you're better off getting a 0% interest card than a rewards one.
    - Google is your friend, the info out there is vast, anything an idiot like me will tell you in a single post is a drop in the bucket of information that is out there.
    - DON'T apply for any cards via link you are not sure is the best sign- up available. Google will sell you out by suggesting a blogger who will provide a 30000pt link when there are multiple 50000pt links available. Search search search

There is infinitely more but I have a good beer to go back to.

(DuClaw Repent Belgian Ale if anyone was curious)

8MiHi, servo46250, JoeCortez and 3 others like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically:

1. You cannot combine the Venture card "points" with points from other cards. This is not a good card for first class travel because you don't really earn "miles" in a frequent flier program but rather "points" that you can exchange for a penny each when buying travel (I know they call them miles, but they're not). You might save up enough points for economy fare but unless you spend enormous amounts of money each month it will take years and years to save up for the retail price of a first class ticket.

2. Yes you should join at least one frequent flier program. The quickest way to first class is to earn enough miles in that program that you can trade them in for first class tickets. This is done without regard to the actual cost of the first class ticket, instead each frequent flier program publishes the number of miles you need for economy, business, or first class to each continent. US to Europe is typically 100,000 to 160,000 miles round trip US to Europe for the front cabin tickets.

3. You can earn the miles by credit card signup bonuses, credit card spending, and actually flying on the airline (or their partners). Many people sign up for more credit cards than they technically need to have for the bonuses. Some people have figured out ways to "juice" their spending (for instance, by buying and reselling goods). There are people who even fly cheap flights just to collect the frequent flier miles (this is called mileage running).

4. You will probably need to strategically sign up for two or three credit cards for each first class ticket you want. Combine that with some carefully spending on the cards and you should be able to get to the redemption threshhold.

5. Which airline to target depends on where you want to go and if you have any miles saved up already. But I would think seriously about United, which has a couple of it's own bonus-giving credit cards and which also "partners" with the Chase Ultimate Rewards program which has at least four active bonus-giving cards at present. You could simultaneously target US Airways. They're in the same "alliance" as United so if you get enough points in United for one ticket and enough in US Airways for the other and you're carefully when booking, you could travel together.

6. There are many blogs which cover the details of how often to apply for credit cards (there are rules you need to follow in order to not get turned down).

7. This will be much easier if the other traveler is also eligible to apply for credit cards.

8MiHi, servo46250, IDGflygirl and 3 others like this.
  5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome jpm1908 !
    I think others have given you some very good info. Enjoy MP ! (And here's a [first] like for you ;))

servo46250 and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. jpm1908

jpm1908 Member

Status Points:
    You are all very kind. Thanks so much for the excellent advice!

servo46250, deant, ACMM and 2 others like this.
  7. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify this for the OP (and to keep him/her focused on the easier, cheaper way to collect miles/points), people who are doing mileage runs are almost always do so just to obtain status on an airline, and the extra redeemable miles are a bonus. For someone who doesn't fly very often, obtaining miles via mileage running is almost never cost effective.

8MiHi, servo46250, ACMM and 2 others like this.
  8. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

servo46250, ACMM and flyingdawg like this.
  9. Zor
    Original Member

Zor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint, jpm1908

servo46250 and ACMM like this.
  10. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    One newbie to another newbie, Welcome!

miles and smiles, servo46250 and ACMM like this.
  11. Paolo Scuri

Paolo Scuri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint.

servo46250 and ACMM like this.
  12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a newbie earlier in 2012, I fell into the same Cap One trap with their 100,000 mile challenge. Well, I missed out on it, only got the 10,000 mile bonus, and realized that 100 miles = $1 wasn't really going to get me anywhere in the next couple of years that was in First Class. I'm in the process of phasing that card out after I spend all my reward points. If you get two AA cards with 50k miles each, you already have 1 first class RT ticket to Europe, in 3-4 months or less.

Welcome to MP!

13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically the 100k C1 promo is actually not a bad deal. that's $1000 you can credit.

Also My plan is to keep the Venture One till the anniversary and downgrade it to the NAF Venture card. C1 no forex fees appeal to me. Whenever I'm intl I leave it @ the hotel w/my passport (in the safe) just in case I get pick pocketed or something else. It's sort of my parachute.

Mikus33 likes this.
  14. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the 100k promo would have been good had they not pulled the plug on it the day I was applying. The NAF Venture card isn't terrible. 1.25 ppd on all purchases is better than most, and certainly easier to manage than figuring out which card has the groceries and gas promo this month. TPG has a sticker system that seems like it would work if managed properly, but it all comes down to how deep you are into acquiring points/miles. That's pretty hardcore.

I don't plan on doing stuff like amazon payments/vanilla reload cards, etc. (I never say never), as that seems like it would add a layer of complexity that I really don't want at this point.

Paolo Scuri likes this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    The C1 Cash Card MC is better than Venture ... but sometimes they don't allow the switch.

1% + 50% on the 1. vs 1.25