Brand Newbe

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by JVS, Oct 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JVS

JVS

Thank one and all for the excelent information on this forum. I hope to learn alot here!

Let's start with my burning question of the day.. Is it posible to consoladate miles from one program with another. I have Capitol One miles, that are not specific to any airlines and then I have OnePass miles about 90,000 on each?

Jslo, canucklehead, cennas and 4 others like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I cannot answer your question, just wanted to take a moment to welcome you to milePoint. I hope someone can provide insight to your inquiry.!

catgirl, rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The answer is sometimes, but at a cost. Certain programs permit transferring out and/or transferring in, but there is generally a loss inherent in the "exchange rate".

Use the Mileage Converter tool on the Inside Flyer site to see what you can do.
    http://insideflyer.com/tools/mileage_converter/

For example, OnePass miles convert into Amtrack miles at a 1:1 ratio, those convert to Choice Hotels Choice Privileges at a 3:1 ratio (so you triple your points, but the redemption value might be deflated to offset that).

It doesn't look like Capitol One points can be converted into anything.

catgirl, cennas, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  4. JVS

JVS

Thank you for the insight. If I can't transfer them, then maybe the best option is to use them to fly on Co. and earn additional OnePass miles there! Am I on the right track?

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    JVS,

Welcome to MP!

Yes...be sure to check out the UA Mileage Plus (including CO) and the Star Alliance forums! :)

:)robin

catgirl, cennas and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint JVS!

In some cases its not possible to transfer points miles, in some cases it is, but with a fee, and in others it free. I tend to use a mileage converter to see what (if anything) is possible (as Gargoyle mentioned). Be sure to read the notes regarding transfer options though as some have limitations (i.e. transferring out of Amtrak you need to either be elite or spend a certain amount on their credit card on Amtrak travel).

As for your capital one points, these are useful for the actual purchase of travel related items (flights, trains, etc.) and you can redeem @ 1 point per cent spend (so your 90,000 points are worth $900 in that case). They can also be used to purchase other items like gift cards and certificates some of which in the past were a fantastic deal, but have since dropped in value.

Your Continental miles are valuable because you can use them not only on Continental/United, but also on Continental's star alliance partners (often a far better use of miles). With just 100,000 miles you could be looking at a trip from the US to Europe in business class with a stopover.

In general, it is advisable to stick to one frequent flyer program for travel so you can build up miles and elite status there, but that doesn't mean you have to stick to that airline only. With Continental, for example, you can earn miles on their star alliance partners (US Airways, Lufthansa, Swiss, etc.), but be sure to check the fare code first and ensure that you know what % of miles you'll be earning.

catgirl, bk3day, cennas and 2 others like this.
  7. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP JVS! Enjoy your stay here.

catgirl, lwkatya, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  8. JVS

JVS

ThnQ, I'm happy to be here. There seems to be alot of info here and alot ov very nice people!

9. JVS

JVS

ThnQ very much!!

10. JVS

JVS

Th

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  11. JVS

JVS

ThanQ.

12. JVS

JVS

Thanks, your a wealth of information!

13. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, JVS!

14. Navysuby3

Navysuby3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I cannot answer your question, just wanted to take a moment to welcome you aboard to milePoint.

Gargoyle, rwoman, catgirl and 2 others like this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Navysuby3 ... I see you have recently joined also - so welcome aboard! :)

rwoman and catgirl like this.
  16. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!!! Some of the best and most knowledgeable people regarding travel.

Gargoyle and John both provided excellent information to get you started. :)

Gargoyle, ACMM and rwoman like this.