Boycott fascist hotels e.g. Marriott Gaylord Opryland, and spread the word

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by redtailshark, Oct 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fascist hotels are those that enact unethical policies of dubious legality to gouge guests e.g. Marriott Gaylord Opryland management's suppression of wifi other than their own ultra-gouging connection; the numerous hotels that charge for opening minibar doors/lifting items without consumption etc.
    http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/pi...unexpected-charges-b99347028z1-274623181.html

I accept hotels can charge whatever they like for their services but there is a way in which these things are being done that is fascist (i.e. suppression of competitive network access not owned by Marriott; non-disclosure of "opening" charge or "item moving charge" or imposition of "storage charge" for hotel minibars) and none of this is tolerable or excusable even under Jeff-Robbo-style PR-speak. No more assent to this. Hold their feet to the fire.

It is time for citizens to send a simple message to the management of these properties. These policies are unacceptable and result in a. loss of business, which will be magnified by b. bad publicity, which will lead to a. etc.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    B1BomberVB, uggboy and MX like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shady business practices != Facism.

Just sayin.

mht_flyer, satman40, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like Larry, I disagree with the term "fascist," but I agree with everything else in
    Redtail's call for a boycott!

satman40, uggboy and Sammich like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most guest use the min bar to cool their own drinks, a few replace the bottles they borrow.

Goes both ways,

Gaylord use to charge for the coffee you used in their machines.

It is a nice hotel, and free parking is in the back at the shopping center...

B1BomberVB likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well even with all the facts, I'm still sort of on the fence about this.

My understanding is that the Gaylord folks were only implementing this in the conference center -- your hotspot would work just fine everywhere else in the hotel -- and that it was for the purposes of keeping people from connecting to random open hotspots, even if that wasn't the ultimate goal.

When you think about it, there's nothing keeping you from creating a honeypot access point and calling it "Gaylord Free WiFi" or whatever name they use, and capture all the traffic that goes through it in hopes of scoring a few usernames / passwords / whatever type of unencrypted data. And unless you have security conscious folks (which wouldn't connect to an open access point to bring with) using a VPN, chances are this tactic would be pretty successful.

Would it be better if the Gaylord people announced this tactic, with specific instructions about which hotspot to connect, and that others would be "barred" from use? Perhaps.

I think people are more outraged at the idea that they supposedly interfered with hotspots as a money grabbing play, without letting people know. If you've ever actually seen how bad things are at large conferences with interference and honeypots, you might give it a second thought yourself.

Even Apple and Google tell their attendees to shut off any hotspots and connect to the provided access point, since it makes things run much smoother in confined locations with hundreds of people trying to run their own thing.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Corporate entities with their lawyers do not plead guilty and pay fines unless they've done something wrong.
    So any spin involving a noble motive is just not credible.
    I also think the use of "fascist" as hyperbole is perfectly fine! ;)

7. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points: