Boy survives flight over Pacific in airplane wheel-well

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Apr 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boy survives flight over Pacific in airplane wheel-well

[​IMG]

gregm, Flyer1976, sobore and 2 others like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, the concern is the breach in security.....

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While this is obvious to look at the security situation first, we shall not forget about the boy who could have died. It's all about empathy here too.

gregm, sobore and WilliamQ like this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do have empathy but what is the boy (16 year old) running away from?

My thought is that he is old enough to be responsible for his actions which could have jeopardized a plane full of innocent should something have happened while he was in the wheel well that prevented it from operating as it tries to land.....

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe trouble at home, or some other kind of other trouble, this could be wide ranging from bullies at school to a dare, since we don't know that [yet], it's difficult to say, until then of course we could speculate, but as you said it's also important to look at the security situation too, plus all the other people on the plane incl. crew he jeopardized. I guess, his parents aren't so pleased right now, but I sincere believe they're happy that he survived his "adventure".

gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    gregm, uggboy, WilliamQ and 1 other person like this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I'm glad the kid survived, but 1) He's a moron. Everyone knows (or should know) how dangerous stunts like this are; and 2) This security breach could have potentially endangered other people and/or damaged the plane. Not to mention the federal resources that had to be wasted responding to this incident. I'd much rather the FBI catch terrorists, bank robbers, and drug traffickers than have to spend time investigating a kid running away from home.

What do you mean, "shall"? :rolleyes: Are you trying to dictate others' opinions?

gregm, WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  8. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazing that he survived. I'd have thought the cold and oxygen deprivation would have killed him.

gregm, LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's sad enough that he "run away" from home, I'm glad that he survived. We don't know the full story.

gregm likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't dictate what others have to think, it's all about context and as many have thought "only" about the security at the airport and maybe forgot about the boy and real story there and why he had to "run away" from home. Since we don't know the full story it's difficult to say what really happened, beside that he was a 16 year old stowaway who survived this flight which lasted over 5 hours, of course the security at the airport should be looked at, which they will surely do, but we shouldn't forget about the boy either who could've died and the implications on his family and on how they feel, as empathy grows in people these days it's only too easy to forget about the individual human implications in such cases as these. While he may was or is "a moron" or made "a moronic short circuited" decision, it's equally important to understand that in the end he's a 16 year old and had "reason" to do such thing, even when wrong in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    gregm likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found out later that's the case regarding the other thread, and yes, I presume they will have a "hard look" into the San Jose airport security especially after this incident and how could it happen in the first place.

gregm and Newscience like this.