Boutiques vs Chains

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Jimgotkp, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you prefer boutiques or chains?

Personally I prefer boutiques since my experiences there have been better in terms of the room and the service. Employees of the boutique hotels tend to be more friendly and non-robotic compared to employees of chains where they have to follow the guidelines of corporate.

The best thing about boutiques is the I Prefer program which I didn't know about until a few weeks ago. The benefits include comp. room upgrades, comp internet, and priority check-in/outs which are all great.

Which one do you prefer?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well there are some chain hotels that are borderline boutique... some Ws for example, Andaz (to an extent) and pretty much any high end property out there will give you incredibly personalized service and nice rooms if you're willing to pay for it or you have status.

flyingdawg, 2soonold, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the post above. I tend to prefer smaller, boutique hotels for sure. One of the reasons I like the Starwood program is because of their luxury collection hotels which tend to be smaller (not always), more "interesting" properties to stay in.

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, I prefer chains as I do not really like surprises especially when travelling. By choosing to stay in big chain hotels, I have the comfort factor of knowing that I will find consistent standards anywhere in the world.

Also in my limited experience as a Hyatt Diamond, I have often times received highly personalized service from almost all the hotels I've stayed in. And the Grand/Regency Clubs certainly give that unique 'hotel within a hotel' feeling that I consider to be almost similar to staying in a boutique property :)

lwkatya, flyingdawg, viguera and 2 others like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with this, I like what Hyatt has been doing lately especially with the Andaz

Very interesting feedback though!.

cennas likes this.
  6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    When on vacation I prefer boutiques (if I can afford it), or even preferably bed and breakfasts. The breakfast table at B&Bs are great ways to meet other travelers and compare experiences and trade tips and advice.

When booking smaller and independent hotels you can also do it through hotels.com and use their welcome rewards if you want to earn free stays.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point! I believe Expedia has a loyalty program too now and there are boutiques that are using Expedia as a 3rd party.

8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha. Everyone must find their own way!:D
    I have dear friends, nice people, who spend a week in DC each year. They put a premium on good service. I am much more irascible and I tend to like chains. I never expect 5 star service when I know I'm eating at Mickey D's!
    If a hotel is a property that I really wanted to stay in, I will put up with some poor service. If a hotel is one I picked because I just needed a roof over my head for the night, I'm not likely to stay there again if the service is poor.
    If the chain has a hotel I want to stay in, then that's where I'll be. Still, there are some destinations, like Hawaii, where I might shy away from the big chain hotels in favor of a smaller boutique.:cool:

cennas, Jimgotkp and yaychemistry like this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about.. boutique chains, like Joie de Vivre or I Prefer? Individuality of boutique hotels with at least some sort of universal standard and perks.

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to say "chains".
    The last 24 months I have been preferring hotels in many cities which are not chains.
    The chains are too much into squeezing out value for the chain/holding group now and this is impacting guests in a lot of cases.
    A case in point is London:

With the exception of Four Seasons Park Lane (which incidentally I have not stayed in since its rennovation)- the "non-chain" hotels offer better value and this is where I stay frequently.

11. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Put me in the boutique camp for most travel, particularly pleasure. Although for business, chains can certainly have their advantages.

TRAVELSIG and Sweet Willie like this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    While we've benefitted by staying at the big chains, we find ourselves drawn more towards boutiques.

While I like B&B's, Mrs Sweet Willie is not a fan as she prefers the anonymity of a hotel, she's not a 'talker' the way I am:D

flyingdawg and TRAVELSIG like this.
  13. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am currently at the Avia Long Beach which is a nice combination of boutique and chain (Hyatt). So much better than the Regency hotels!