Boulder CO Marriott

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by TRAVELSIG, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed recently for a few nights at the Boulder CO Marriott (for clarification the Full Service hotel on Canyon). Report as follows:

1) Checkin- I arrived quite late (around midnight)- checkin was quick and fine with friendly staff. No mention of elite anything however I also didn't ask.
    2) Room- The room is very clean and is typical Marriott. I don't think there is anything wrong with it- nothing that great either. A couple of things that could be improved on:
    a) The Speakman shower heads are not very good- install something with higher water pressure
    b) Light leaks under the door and also noise carries through (door needs to be a little longer)- solve with towel
    3) Internet- This is where Marriott is "challenging". $14.95 per day per device for slow internet. Also to get a public IP requires a reboot every 24 hours. At least make it fast if charging so much money and allow for a multi-day option instead of having to login every day.
    4) Breakfast- Good. Fast attentive service. Food quality fine. Price/Value ration fine. Coffee was not great however other than that good option (I think it was around $15 per person all-in IIRC).
    5) Staff- Great staff. Very friendly and helpful. Hotel highpoint.

Note there is also a Starbucks counter in the lobby which doubles as a bar at night.

Hotel Lowpoints:
    1) Gym is the size of a closet. Pool similar.
    2) Internet (see above)
    3) Overall value ratio: as with many hotels in Boulder it is quite expensive. The St. Julien (not chain) is in the centre of town which is quite charming and also is a nicer physical property. Particularly if you factor in Internet and breakfast costs both hotels are at/around the $300 mark per night on average for a single room. The St. Julien is the better option at this price point.

Lastly, the split Marriott desk thing really bugs me as does the chair which is constantly tilting back (no way to lock Marriott chairs in my experiences). I suggest they have some Marriott execs work a couple of days in that chair and we will have a change in no time.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report!

I'd like to add that the concierge lounge on the 5th floor has great views of the Rockies and serves a decent breakfast. Cold smoked salmon is excellent; I can't stop eating it! The bar downstairs is small, but has a selection of local beers and there are a few decent restaurants within walking distance.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    One service they could replicate from the St. Julien are the complimentary bicycle rentals- in this way it would be easy to get downtown to where the large selection of restaurants are.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am here again now- and have a room with a view of CU and the mountains behind- definitely a big improvement. If you request a room with a view of the mountains they will do their best to accommodate it- floors 3,4,5 are better as you are above the nearby construction.

They have a very high number of repeat guests here from what I can tell and seem to do a good job at recognition as well as very friendly and competent staff.

I still think the St Julien is a slightly better property with a (again) slight nicer location- however given that this hotel is usually on average $100 USD a night less expensive it is an excellent alternative.

legalalien likes this.
  6. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    never stayed at this property, but lived in boulder for 7 years not too far from it, perhaps i need to go spend a night there next time i am up in boulder.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you live in Boulder I am not sure you need to spend a night here- it is a good hotel for the area although I don't know if it would compete with living in Boulder.

ab3i likes this.
  8. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correction - i 'used' to live in boulder :)

9. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are actually a couple of excellent restaurants right by the Marriott. Zolo Grill is one of my favorites in the area. Alba is the successor to Full Moon Grill. And you can't beat breakfast at Le Peep.

legalalien likes this.
  10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Zolo Grill is perfect. And if you're in the mood for a 5-egg omelet, there's a pancake house next door, too. Forgot the name, but it's slightly fancier than Le Peep, as far as I recall.

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    For breakfast across the street from the hotel go to "the Buff" which is excellent- open only breakfast/lunch.

Zolo Grill is very good also.