Bought two tickets on Dreamliner - World traveler plus vs World Traveler

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by enichols22124, Sep 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

Just looking for some opinions. I know that World Club is a wonderful thing, but just focusing on World Traveler vs World Traveler Plus on a Dreamliner with BA, did you feel it was a worthwhile upgrade? I am not expecting First Class service, but it seemed to me for a 9 hour flight the extra legroom and further reclining seat was worthwhile at a minor cost. But, I also see a lot of reviews where people think it is terrible. So, I thought I would ask, anyone done both and what was the takeaway? worth it or not? The Dreamliner seems really narrow in the seats in Coach, which is what led to me think it would be the smallest seat I have had to endure for an international flight. But I have not had the joy of riding in one yet, this is just based off pics.

Thanks.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know anything about BA's Dreamliner, but assuming they are using the same seats as on the A380 (vs. the older seats) I would definitely consider it a worthwhile upgrade if you can afford the price (everyone's surcharge pain threshold is obviously different). My wife and I just spend 40+ hours in BA WT+ and were happy.

Here's a review of the A380 WT+ experience that I read before my trip, and while I didn't re-read it now, I think my impressions were quite similar.

http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfly/british-airways-a380-premium-economy-lax-lhr-trip-report.html

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are narrow. If you can swing WTP I'd go for it just for space. As an added bonus, Avios for WTP->CW is a pretty good deal if the space show up.

NYCVSFlyer and Pizzaman like this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Bingo. I just did this for a trip to DUB later this year. It's a great use of Avios. I do have to pay the higher extortionate premium departure fees for LHR, but it's worth it for the lie-flat seat both ways over the pond for 20,000 Avios total.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you returning DUB-LHR-IAD or just LHR-IAD? If the former then you shouldn't be paying the higher APD.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The former. They charged me an extra $300+

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You should follow up on that and get a breakdown. Seems wrong to me.

desamo likes this.
  8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having a quick look on ITA:-

If flying IAD-LHR-DUB-LHR-IAD booked on a WT+ fare (with economy on LHR-DUB-LHR), the total of the UK PSC and the BA YQ is about $567.10.

If flying IAD-LHR-DUB-LHR-IAD booked on a CW fare (with business on LHR-DUB-LHR), the total of those two items is $950.40, ie an increase of $383.30.

All the other TFC items are the same in both cases, and there is of course no UK APD to pay.

So if doing a WT+ --> CW UuA only on the long-haul sectors, an additional "$300+" doesn't sound out of line with this.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was talking with Pizzaman about it in person yesterday and we agreed that if BA was charging the YQ difference as well it might make sense. I'm not used to seeing that fee included in an upgrade but BA certainly does love charging it everywhere they possibly can so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

10. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    You certainly do pay the YQ difference if you're upgrading using Avios. In many UuA situations, the extra YQ is the only cash component to pay.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. That sucks.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Since our conversation (and roughly a week since they ticketed) they haven't actually pulled the 20,000 Avios. Who knows? Maybe I get a bonus. ;)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may be different from other airlines' schemes, but it can hardly be unexpected or surprising.

This way, you pay the full amount of the YQ for the cabin you're flying in whether you're on a cash ticket, an award ticket, or a cash ticket for a lower cabin that's been upgraded using Avios.

What would be surprising is if you had to pay the full YQ on a cash ticket, and you had to pay the full YQ on an award ticket; but on a cash ticket upgraded with Avios you only had to pay the YQ for the cabin below.

14. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a followup, I just came back, and that flight was great on WorldTraveler Plus. The room was significantly better, and the meals were good. Also, what was a nice side effect is that it was so much quieter, since there are only 25 seats or so in World Traveler plus, and they pull a curtain to separate us from Club and WT, the side effect is nice. They even run a different lighting for it, keeping it darker longer than regular WT. I would recommend it highly. My family actually told me it felt like first class, with the extras like the wine, the headphones, morning kit, etc. I can't complain about that! :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is WTP the same thing as Premium Economy? (Not near my laptop to look it up on BA's: site).

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

In BA-land it is:
    WT=Economy
    WTP=Premium Economy
    CW=Business
    F=First

17. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thank you. I'm going to CPH next year for a cruise and going on BA (IAH-LHR-CPH) in WTP is looking like my best option. Don't really want to change airlines or terminals, plus the added benefit of getting about 15k eqp's for AA elite qual is nice as well.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, you might get lucky and have the LHR transfer all in one terminal. Or you might have to move between T5 and T3. No guarantees on that one. :(

19. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    It has been showing T5 for both flights. But I am looking at the combo that gives me a 6 hr layover just in case. I might have to make a weekend trip this winter to LHR to scope it out and get a lay of the land. ;)

20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you have Avios or Chase Ultimate Rewards, you may be able to secure an upgrade from WTP to CW for 10,000 Avios one-way. One of the best deals in the sky.

21. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes

22. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Nope. I just have some AAdvantage and United miles.

23. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have Amex MR points, you can convert those to Avios.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since T5 consists of the main terminal and two satellites, it isn't all that convenient to connect (IMO) as it may seem. We arrived recently in one of the satellites, had to take the train to the main terminal, pass security, then head back to the same or another satellite via train a few hours later. Not sure that heading to T3 would have added a whole lot (don't you remain in the sterile area? I think I saw the "bus stop" for T3 connections).

25. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you arrive at LHR from a non-UK destination, you must clear security again before you board another flight. In that sense, you don't remain in the sterile area, although you could remain airside throughout the T5-T3 connection unless you choose to cross the immigration border and go landside.

Wandering Aramean and Pizzaman like this.