Bought the Nexus 7 -- what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by adambadam, Jul 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been a happy iOS user with both an iPhone and iPad from the first month they each came out. Realizing I never have really tried any of the competition that has sprouted up in the years since the iPhone was originally launched I have decided buy the Nexus 7 tablet to give Android a whirl -- the price was right.

I am pretty tech savvy though what should I know about Android before my new gadget arrives this week?

Any apps that really show the strength of Android (perhaps because they actually run in the background, etc)?

2. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good call on the Nexus 7 I ordered mine just after the announcement. If you did the pre-order like me you should get your shipping notice in the next 24 hrs if you haven't already.

One thing you should know is the Nexus is not a direct competitor for the Ipad, its more to take on the Kindle Fire. But you should be able to get used to how Android works fairly quickly.

One thing you should look into after you get it is rooting it and adding one of the custom ROMs.
    http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/how-to-unlock-and-root-the-nexus-7/
    In the next few weeks their should be a bunch of new ROMs for the N7 but I'm going to wait for Cyanogenmod 10 to come out. If you don't know Cyanogenmod is one of(if not the) most well known ROM's in the world.

As for Apps I would say get your self a Google Music(http://music.google.com)
    Google Music lets you upload up to 20,000 songs to the cloud for free then you can stream them back to your phone tablet or computer without taking up any space on your devise.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The return policy?

drewbles likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It took me about five days non-stop to upload about 3500 songs (I did it with a spare computer at home). If you google this, the incredibly slow upload performance seems to be a common issue.

It's ultimately not a big problem for me, just be aware of it, though.

5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    We'll see. :p

Well I got the shipping notice and it should be delivered tomorrow. I decide I better start uploading so that I would be ready to go when I unbox. So far it seems to be progressing at a fairly nice clip.

Anyone have any apps they would recommend?

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the Mainstreme apps are on both iOS/Android.

I'd start with that first. Giving req on app is hard not knowing what you use, and what you are planing to use the machine for.

http://lifehacker.com/5827518/lifehacker-pack-for-android-our-list-of-the-best-android-apps

Might be a good starting point; though it is almost a year old. Most the apps are still relevant.

http://lifehacker.com/5616299/lifehacker-pack-for-android-our-list-of-the-best-android-apps
    1 year earlier than that.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, maybe post what your favorite/most-used apps are on iOS (and what they do) and people with Android experience can chime in with their suggestions.

Actually let me start, since I got my Nexus 7 a couple weeks ago and haven't really had time to muck with it very much. What I need are recommendations for:

- good offline Google Reader compatible RSS reader (I use Reeder on iOS)
    - NY Times app (I think they only have a phone app at this time for Android)
    - good PDF viewer to read eBooks (I use GoodReader on iOS)
    - good Twitter client

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:

NewsRob is a good RSS client. I dont use NYT or Twitter; but for ebooks i just use the nook/kindle app.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do the Nook/Kindle apps support pdf files? I am fine with Kindle for actual Amazon eBooks, but I have a ton of product documentation pdfs (legal) that I carry around on my iPad and access via GoodReader. I guess I'll give it a try.

10 second look at Play store indicates that NewsRob is highly rated. Will try it, thanks!

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    NewsRob looks nice, but for some reason its default setting is to only sync'ed 100 messages. Can be changed in Settings -> Reading List. At first I though that it was a limitation of the "Lite" version, but changing the settings helped.

11. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I got my Nexus 7. It is OK. Its really small, at least compared to the iPad I am use to. Not sure if I will keep it and find a good use or if I should return it before it becomes a paper weight.

One thing I have noticed is that while apps seem to run fairly fast, it always takes them a while to load the first time they are open and it is frustrating as there is little progress activity. Oh well, it seems to finally have caught up to speed though. It is also a little strange how you can go to different pages and tasks keep going in the background. I think I will get use to that. :)

But my biggest gripe so far is that Gmail is not set up to push mail to me. Is there a way to change this setting? If I check a message on a different device it still sits as unread on my Nexus for several minutes and mail is only fetched every so often too.

12. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm sad to report that my Nexus 7 never showed. UPS lost it, first they sent it to Oakland then Santa Ana but I live in LA. After 2 days in Santa Ana Google recalled the package. So last night I had to cancel the first one and order a new one. Rep on the phone said he would do his best to get it sent over night for free but wasn't sure. All and all I'm disappointed with Google's CS.

13. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    but is/was the problem/fault w/ UPS or Google? Either way am hoping this thread and reviews continue, as I'm seriously considering this device...

14. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was a little of both I guess. UPS lost it on Tuesday, then found it on Wednesday told me I would have it on Thursday. Some time Wednesday night Google recalled the shipment, but didn't inform me or cancel my order. Spent 1.5 hrs on hold with Google on Friday and 45 mins getting pushed from one rep to another none could tell me why they recalled it. Finally I got to someone that could give me a refund. Funny part is I have two credit cards on file with Google, but they refunded the money to the other card. Not the one that I used for the original purchase. If I'm lucky the money will show up on the other card without having to call Google again, and I will get miles for both N7s.

Espan likes this.
  15. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Check your account settings and make sure it is set to sync automatically. Sometimes when I add a new account or change ROMs auto sync gets messed up and I have to re set it.

16. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Update Google sent me a new N7 and the one that got lost so now I have two of them.

infamousdx likes this.
  17. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Currents for a reader. It isn't perfect in that it doesn't clear read stories from my reader feed though. I also have the google reader app loaded which i like better than reader on a computer due to formatting. I can pick and choose stories instead of reading in order.

NYT has an app. No idea on other options.

Adobe Reader has its own app. I also have EasyPDF Reader or something like that. I'll have to check when i get to my tablet.

Twitter I still really like Boid. Although yesterday I downloaded Slices to check out.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.