Bought Emergency Row seats but then got tossed

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by enichols22124, Sep 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am flying LAX to Syndey,and bought emergency row seats, paying the extra for them. Qantas made an adjustments (same type of plane, but moved the flight forward an hour) and they dropped all our seats, and then randomly assigned us all over the plane. I've heard this happens, but I can't seem to get our seats back. When I called, Qantas told me that the "system", as part of the plane change, throws out all the exit row seats and then "locks" them so no one can rebook them. Now....I don't buy this as my option was to buy them as an upgrade as part of choosing my seat. But now, they are "locked".

Any ideas of what to say, or who to reach for assistance? Am I really stuck? Do I still stand a reasonable chance of getting these seats? Or is this how elites get them? How many days before should I try. I'm just not familiar with Qantas, so I have no idea when these seats start getting offered to Elites and others before I can get them rebooked....

Thanks for any ideas.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would call Qantas and ask for a supervisor. Explain what happened and I think you may have some immediate success. You may have to hang up and call back a few times until you get the right person, but there is certainly someone who can unlock those seats for you.

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the seats might be locked precisely to help folks like yourself.
    This makes sense in case Elites who have free access (do they on Qantas) grabs them from a customer who paid extra for that option.
    As @marcwint55 said, call them and explain you paid for the seat, they will likely put you back.
    Otherwise, in theory you have a valid dispute in not getting what you paid.
    This was not a complimentary seat select for you.

marcwint55, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes the old 'If mom doesn't say yes ask dad' procedure! It doesn't work every time but it doesn't hurt to try.

marcwint55 and Newscience like this.
  5. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given Qantas charge $180 each for these seats, I would suggest calling back. Sound like the initial agent has simply tried to fob you off.

6. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to follow up after this trip. First the positive: the 380 was a really great plane to fly, comfortable, humidity level seems higher, everyone really loved it. Quiet as well.

The negative: Qantas sucks on everything when it came to reservations and seats and regulations. They made up rules whenever they felt like it, and were completely inconsistent across the flights we took, both international and domestic. I would hesitate to ever fly them again, they were that bad. Every single seat reservation I made (this is for 6 people on 4 different flights) were changed without notice and without any real rules that made sense. When we arrived for the first flight, they could not expain how for the 4th time my reserved and paid Exit row seats were changed to random seats on the flight. I threw a fit at this point, since I have fixed this not less than 2 days before. They tried to tell me that the seats were changed because 1 member had brought a CPAP machine onboard, and even though it was not going to be used (we just didn't want it broken), that meant they could move everyone out of exit rows and put them anywhere they wanted. Idiotic. After getting a manager down to the counter and fixing the seats for 5 of them, they then would not change the last one since that meant the person was too feeble to open the exit door (really? Never heard of that one, own a CPAP automatically means you can't sit in an exit row? Made up crap.)

Another time we arrive for check-in, and they tell us that they ejected all of us from the exit rows because we had a minor in our group. Um, I know, that's why the minor is sitting behind us, because the rule is they must be 15 years or older. They told me no, the rule is that if there is a minor then NO ONE in the same group can be trusted to operate the EXIT doors. And, no refund because it's their determination at that time and it overrides anything. MotherF*&^%!

These type of things happened on every flight, there was always a problem. I loved the planes, but hated the service. I hope I don't have to use them for some time, because they couldn't care less about me.

estnet likes this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you paid for seats that you did not get and they won't refund can you dispute with the credit card company?

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    This rule is not unique to Qantas.

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    @enichols22124, I understand you feel wronged with all the seat swaps and exit row denial after you paid extra for them. Well there good news / bad news.

Bad news. All airlines have strict regulations on Exit Row seating.
    For example, Southwest states...
    *They probably classify the CPAP as a type of POC or they define someone that needs a CPAC as an individual with a condition ....
    Hawaiian Airlines on the subject of CPAP and Exit rows states...
    *They do not really care if you actually use it but if you bring it aboard, they assume you might use it
    Qantas published rules on Exit rows.

Generally, all airlines can interpret the rules as they wished.

Now for the good news.
    Qantas have a rule that might help you get back the extra (non-refundable) money paid for the exit row seats.

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/seat-selection-conditions/global/en

I am curious how did Qantas knew that one of your party was carrying a CPAP onboard. Was this declared upfront to get an additional carry-on luggage? Flying with a minor is easy as the system could have pick up the age and flagged the group to be re-assigned. The logic behind is based on the belief that an adult will instinctively try to care for a minor in the party which then impairs the ability to carry out the required responsibilities in a (unlikely) stressful and chaotic emergency situation.

10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    POI - CPAP do NOT concentrate oxygen!