Boston - Hilton Boston Downtown/Financial District, or DoubleTree Downtown?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by martinfoss, Jan 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm currently booked at the Hilton Boston Downtown/Financial District, but noticed that the DoubleTree Downtown are reasonably priced as well. Any thoughts on which to choose? Purpose of the trip is tourism, and I'm planning two nights. I see that the DT is at least closer to South Station, which I'm leaving from with Amtrak.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not a fan of the Hilton at all, but I do not know the Doubletree.

3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doubletree used to be a transient hotel - I forget the name - but rather a joke
    among those who worked in the area. The rooms did get renovated at some
    point, maybe in the '80s or '90s, but they're tiny tiny. Theater district is pretty
    safe and with good dining options nearby.

Distance to South Station, both are walking distance.

4. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of us consider all of Boston to be within walking distance to South Station.

5. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed a week back at this Hilton in late 2010. As gold I got a one bedroom suite. Was nothing wonderful but the rooms were huge. No exec floor or club lounge so they gave me a full buffet instead.

It's also pretty damn cheap at the moment!

6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its a damn long walk from Oak Square ;)

7. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found the Doubletree, located near New England Medical, to be not that great. I'd stay at the Hilton, which is near the Pru. I like the location better anyway.

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
  9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend the Hilton Boston Back Bay which is a block away from Boylston and the malls at the Hynes/Convention center. You can get to here from Logan airport with the T & go all round Boston with the T as well. The Financial District Hilton is a good hotel as well, but there is not so much to do in the area surrounding it.

10. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the Hilton Back Bay that much better? ;)

[​IMG]

11. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer Back Bay to Downtown. Plenty of things to see and do and it's easy to get to anywhere in Boston with the T.

rwoman likes this.
  12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do prefer the location of the Back Bay when the hotels are similary priced, but I would NOT spend an extra $260 to stay there over the Financial District Hilton which is a nice hotel and whose rooms may be a bit better than the Back Bay's rooms. I like the Back Bay's easy accesss to Boylston St., and their staff were very pleasant and helpful during my stay. I would recommend the Financial District Hilton over the Doubletree as the location is better, more central, and still in downtown Boston. I suggest taking a look at tripadvisor.com to see the reviews of the hotels.

13. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would take the Hilton over the Doubletree as well, mostly for the location. Last time we were in Boston we stayed at the Beacon XV, which was amazing location and service, but it's a non-Hilton property.

We've had nice stays at the Doubletree Club Bayside, for the price, and it's right on the red line into Boston, if you're not as into walking.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a tourist visit, I would look for a boutique hotel closer to Beacon Hill, ALthough Newverry Street is certainly fun.

Before paying these prices for a The Hilton Back Bay, I would look at rates for the Four Seasons, RC, or the hotel that's now in the old RC building, perhaps now flagged as a Taj.

15. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I posted this in the HHonors forum? :confused: ;)

Thanks for the advice, btw. I'm currently sticking with the downtown location, but will watch the prices at Back Bay. For some reason, it suddenly jumped from 300-something to 529 at one point. :eek:
    The other hotels, remained unchanged.

On the other hand, a DoubleTree i was considering for another trip, dropped from 140 to around 80 (GBP) for the displayed lowest rate.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this is the HH forum, but IMO it is on topic to point out properties that might be a better deal than Hiltons in a particular area for comparison.

rwoman likes this.
  17. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at Hilton Back bay a few times and the rate there can be greatly affected by conventions at Hynes and Red Sox games so if you're trying to book at times where there are either, rates can be quite high.

I found it to be extremely convenient on very snowy and cold days since I could shop, eat and get to the T barely having to step outside.

Otherwise, Boston is not a huge city (area-wise) so it's pretty easy to get around on foot and by train. It's easily one of my favorite cities and I work in our office up there pretty regularly. I never pass up a chance to visit, such a lovely place. You'll be decently close to Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market and other attractions so there will be plenty to see in your area.

rwoman likes this.
  18. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you try the MVP rate for the BB property?

19. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Changed to Back Bay, after I found a rate for 246 dollars a night, for a King Bed Panoramic view. Hilton.com displays 199 for the lowest rate for my nights instead of the 529 as it did before ;)