BOS-SJU award ticket suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by kandru2003, Oct 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kandru2003

kandru2003 New Member

Status Points:
    Please give suggestions for award ticket from Boston - San Juan, Puerto Rico in December 1st week or is better to fare ticket

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    My experience at such a close-in date that it may be best to fare the ticket and concentrate on acquiring room nights with hotel points. Likely the overall better savings will be on the cumulation of hotel costs savings by use of points.

Most would try to use Star Alliance partners (United/US Airways) on this route but I recall last year that someone was able to find inventory with Delta SkyMiles because of less competition from SkyMiles members in the area. And of course you can have availability with JetBlue.

Could you post which loyalty programs you might have reasonable balances including Membership Rewards and hotel programs? AND BTW, welcome to Milepoint.

3. kandru2003

kandru2003 New Member

Status Points:
    I have united 130000 miles, amex reward points 140000, American 60,000, delta 45000, spg 1 free night And 3000 points. I am taking My wife for babymoon for 4 night from bos- sju
    1st or 2nd week of this December

4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, first congratulations.

Second. Fly Jet Blue. Your wife is pregnant and will want a direct flight (I just went through this). That means jetblue is your only option.

You can transfer MR to JetBlue at 250 -> 200

It might not be the most efficient use of ~65k MR points, but given your goals that seems like the best plan to get the tickets and not pay for them with cash.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on which AmEx you have and the valuation JetBlue is putting on their points at the time of purchase (it is a variable rate program) you might be better off paying with the AmEx and using the pay with points option. Check it both ways before committing.

Muerl likes this.
  6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good call, I had not thought about that.

You need a business Amex for that right?

7. kandru2003

kandru2003 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    I have amex personal platinum card points. It looks jet blue needs 65k points for that I think I have transfer 80k amex points at rate of 0.8. Any more economical suggestions please

8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the day you're looking at. For example Dec 8th return Dec 12/13th was about 65k Amex points / 52k Jet Blue points.

Flying is only about $620 a/i with a stop, so using 50k points for a redemption on a Major seems like just as much a waste (Directs are about $720)