BOS Promo: Miles for Checking Bags

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Oct 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

Available to EXP/PLT/GLD.

Through November 22, 2011, American Airlines will offer AAdvantage® elite status members the opportunity to earn a minimum of 500 AAdvantage bonus miles for checking bags on flights departing Boston Logan International Airport (BOS).

Earning the bonus miles is easy - simply visit a BOS Self-Service Check-In machine on the day of your departure and follow the normal steps to check-in with bags. Check at least one bag under your own name to earn the bonus miles, which will automatically post to your AAdvantage account five business days after you have completed the travel associated with your itinerary. As a reminder, all AAdvantage elite status members are entitled to check two bags free of charge (within current size and weight limits) in addition to earning the bonus miles with this special offer.

Checked Baggage Bonus Mile Offer FAQs:
    • Q. When does the bonus mile offer begin and end?
      A. The offer runs from October 12 through November 22, 2011.
    • Q. Where is the bonus mile offer available?
      A. The offer is only available on American Airlines and American Eagle marketed and operated flights departing Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) and only via Self-Service Check-In machines. This offer does not apply to travel on codeshare flights which are operated by another airline.
    • Q. Do the bonus miles count as elite status qualifying miles?
      A. No. The bonus miles do not count toward elite status qualification.
    • Q. How will the bonus miles appear in my AAdvantage account?
      A. The bonus miles will post as 'Checked Bag Bonus Miles' in your AAdvantage account summary, viewable on AA.com.
    • Q. When will the bonus miles appear in my AAdvantage account?
      A. The bonus miles will post to your AAdvantage account five business days after you have completed the travel associated with your itinerary. For example, if you depart BOS with a checked bag on October 24 and return on October 26, the bonus miles will post to your account on November 2.
    • Q. I flew out of BOS with a checked bag more than once during the promotional period. When I review my AAdvantage account summary, there are different bonus mileage amounts posted. Why is this?
      A. Different bonus mileage amounts are offered during the promotional period, so it is possible to have earned different mileage amounts if you traveled more than once during this time.
    • Q. Will I receive additional bonus miles if I check more than one bag for flights departing from BOS?
      A. No. The bonus mile offer is a flat amount regardless of the number of bags checked per departing flight.
    • Q. If I am checking my bags from BOS and making a connection to another flight, will I receive two bonuses - one for each flight?
      A. No. The bonus only applies to the flight departing directly from BOS. It does not apply to connecting flights.
    • Q. Are AAdvantage Gold® members eligible for Priority Baggage Delivery?
      A. The Priority Baggage Delivery benefit only applies to AAdvantage Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members. However, all customers booked in First or Business Class, regardless of membership status, are eligible for this benefit.
    • Q. I am a oneworld elite status member. Am I eligible to receive this bonus mile offer?
      A. No. Only AAdvantage elite status members are eligible for this offer.
    Terms and Conditions:

AAdvantage Bonus Mile Offer
    AAdvantage bonus mile offer is valid for baggage checked by AAdvantage elite status members under their name on American Airlines and American Eagle marketed and operated flights departing from Boston Logan International Airport between October 12, 2011 and November 22, 2011. AAdvantage members checking baggage under their name when traveling in the same reservation with an elite status member will also receive the bonus. Offer is available via Self Service Check-in machines only. Baggage checked with an agent will not receive the bonus. A maximum of one bonus per person will be earned per eligible flight, regardless of the total number of bags checked per person. Eligible customers must have a valid AAdvantage number included in the reservation to earn the bonus. No registration or promotion code required. Bonus miles do not count toward elite status qualification and will be posted to the traveling AAdvantage member account five (5) business days after completion of the travel associated with the itinerary.

zpaul and rwoman like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to start checking an empty box and leaving it at the other end, I suppose???

rwoman, JosephMay, kw335 and 2 others like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At least then you wouldn't have to deal with filing a claim if they lost it. ;)

rwoman likes this.
  4. hillrider

hillrider Silver Member

Status Points:
    What behavior are they trying to push? Having elites check their free bags so that there is more overhead space for the non-elites to stow those bags they would have checked-in if it weren't for the AA-initiated bag fee (now $50 round-trip?)

rwoman likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Bingo.

Now they just have to find the price point that motivates elites to do it, hence the variance in miles awarded.

zpaul and rwoman like this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing... Too bad it's only in Boston.

rwoman likes this.
  7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perfect timing. Boston trip in a couple of weeks!

rwoman likes this.
  8. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    And they will lose it...... I'd make book on that :)

rwoman likes this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's all that great bin space on those TATL 757's ;)

10. hillrider

hillrider Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's easier to just copy WN and drop the fees in exchange for a revenue boost equivalent to 2 percentage points of the total market. Lowers costs a ton too.

ByeByeDelta likes this.
  11. ByeByeDelta

ByeByeDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be great it the bonus was based on flight miles? Head to LAX, Your bag earns 2,611 miles. That's a promotion I could really get into... If I were in Boston.

12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA is trying to figure out what the benefit would be of not have a few extra bags in the overhead against improved on time departure. By keeping the scope limited and being able to track the number of participants through the promotion, they can see how removing x bags from the overhead will lead to y % of timely departures against what the % of timely departures was prior to the promotion. It'd be very difficult to pull off this kind of test with the non-elite flying public as there is far better tracking of data on elites.

The bag check fee is a big money maker for the airlines and they are clearly not going to get rid of it. Understanding that most passengers are going to do everything they can to avoid the fee, they are stuck in a world where there are just going to be a ton of passengers with carry-ons. They'd like to improve the timeliness in departures with the a minimal impact on revenues/costs.

If they see a significant enough improvement, then they might think about playing with the mileage bonus and testing it in other markets. However, I wouldn't hold my breath because I don't know that many business travelers would be willing to wait an extra 15-30 minutes at baggage claim and risk the chance of lost luggage on a 2x/wk basis for an extra 1000 miles.... although I know a bunch of Milepointers are willing to ;)

JosephMay and zpaul like this.