BOS/New England Based MilePoint'ers needed for News Story

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Sean Colahan, Apr 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good afternoon fellow MilePoint'ers. As may or may not know I am a video-journalist for New England Cable News in Boston, MA. One of the reporters, Alysha Palumbo, and I are working on a story about mileage running, taking bumps, and credit card churning all in the name of status, upgrades, and getting to fly in premium cabins that we would not be able to afford w/o this hobby of ours. We are looking to talk to a few people on camera next friday (April 27th) in the afternoon or early evening (or late morning if its the only time) on this topic. If you are interested and available, please start a private conversation with me and we can go from there.

Flyer1976, perryplatypus and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. pfbloom

pfbloom Active Member

Status Points:
    Hate to say it, but evidence is mounting that MR and CC gaming possibilities etc. are probably on the decline, and that fact is the more interesting story than another version of how glamourous the MR game is.

Online ticket agencies have begun doing closer monitoring of mistake fares, and are canceling FD tickets when they find them. CC churn will always be an option, but mileage bonuses have been shrinking. And with the decline in competition, especially if something like an AA/US merger happens, there will be less pressure on airlines to engage in money-losing fare wars.

My view is that the glory days are over, and the pickings will become gradually slimmer and slimmer. Certainly IT systems will be a lot better in the future. So many people are trying out the MR and mistake fare options that number of people trying to game the system has probably passed the critical mass threshold, and airlines are now choosing to crack down. We're a victim of our own success. The proliferation of MP and FT forums are proof.

Not that it wouldn't be an uplifting story about how to fly for next-to-nothing.... Just that you're a little late to this particular party. And that is the real story now.

Not

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its more about the culture of us MilePoint'ers...not looking for the hard core (which I agree with you is declining from the "glory days") but just the fact that MP'ers will look for the longest way possible to get somewhere to get the most miles, and use our points not for a $250 ticket to Florida but for a $12000 ticket to Easter Island.

4. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I look forward to seeing this report soon. Let us know when it will broadcast.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, If I can't find any MilePointers or people from that other site there will be no story to broadcast....still working on our subjects. Can anyone know of members in the BOS area (or that will be in town this Friday)???

6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sean is a real character.. Lol...

Nice piece, but where did you find that lady?? ;)

nickfromct and Sean Colahan like this.
  8. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sean Colahan likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sean Colahan likes this.
  10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    MilePoint:)

11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the find...I will have them fix it on the website.

12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    No rush ;) :D

legalalien likes this.
  13. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asked them to fix it this morning when I got into the office, hopefully it has been taken care of by now.