BOS/MIA-LHR and BOS-CDG Start Today Will BOS/MIA get more direct flights?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by brfort, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    So today the new flights that DL picked up from one world begin. Do people think that BOS and MIA will get more direct flights? It seems to me that the the feeder traffic is pretty limited at these airports, or are there strictly O/D dependent?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some new flying has been coming at both airports. Miami is adding flights to Jacksonville/Orlando/Tampa/Los Angeles, while Boston is adding flying to Norfolk/Pittsburgh/Kansas City (in addition to flights from Washington/Orlando/Salt Lake/Columbus/Raleigh/Indianapolis/etc. that flow over Boston as it stands).

With BOS-CDG, there is also the Air France hub on the other end that will support that flight.

brfort and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew about the inter-florida flights but did not know about the new BOS flights even though I live up here. With the new feeder I wonder how long PIT will keep the CDG flight on DL.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a potential flight in the near future that could go. They don't even fly to SLC from PIT!

5. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I read somewhere that the city is subsidising the flight, that is why, at least for the time being it is staying afloat.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    What other cities would you like to see Delta offer to LHR? How about SLC?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  7. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next frequency to LHR will likely be to make DTW and ATL a double daily flight each (right now they split a second frequency). Both cities have traditionally had one more frequency on Delta to London than currently (DTW-LGW was 2x/day on Northwest, while ATL-LGW was often 3x in summer on Delta).

Other than that, I don't see any new cities on Delta to LHR, especially if SkyTeam gets Virgin Atlantic. I don't see SLC having the demand for two daily flights to Europe right now.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  8. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, 2X daily ATL service could be in the near future.

9. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAX-LHR is the big missing piece. Yes, I know DLAF have tried LAX-LHR before but that was during one of the worst recessions and DL wasn't quite yet 'ready' to build LAX yet. DL is now trying to get more of the LA corporate/O&D traffic and be a robust partner for Skyteam at LAX (notice all the domestic adds, the high frequency LAX-SFO/LAS/SAN flights, etc.); the biggest missing overseas market is London. The Skyteam JV has LAX-AMS/CDG/FCO now and Delta has NRT/HND/SYD. Even MIA, which is less of a 'focus' than LAX, now has nonstops to LHR/AMS/CDG/FCO on Skyteam. I think LAX-LHR is not a matter of if, but when.

DYKWIA likes this.
  10. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is they'll wait and see if Virgin can come into the fold (which would take care of the issue right there); if not, I'd think a 767-300 could work. A big part of the problem last time around was using the 777-300ER, which I think was just too much airplane for that route.

11. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, AF used the 777-200ER last time, but yes, still too big a plane for the market especially when you are a new entrant during a recession...

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, if DL is going to be competitive on this long nonstop route, it will be important to offer nice aircraft and not the horrid 767-300s with the awful cradle seats. Maybe it can be started after more of these birds are reconfigured into the lie-flat seats (with more privacy too).

brfort likes this.
  13. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL already has SLC-CDG.

14. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your point being?!

15. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well there was discussion about the PIT-CDG flight and then there is no SLC-PIT so that's why I said that...

16. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    You really need to invest some time in improving your reading comprehension skills. Great to see you found MilePoint. Look forward to you providing substantive information and improving the information in this forum much like your good friend N830MH regularly does.

mersk862 and n301dp like this.