BOS Airport Hotels

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by desamo, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had this reservation for the BOS Logan Airport Hilton ($339 + tax) for months.

However, I'm basically too cheap to really want to pay that much for an airport hotel.

Not so sure I like the $80 less a night for the Hampton, either.

(Neither is available for either points or points + cash)

Anyone have suggestions? I have a grand total of 10 hours in Boston on a routing-forced overnight and I don't want to burn too much schlepping. Should I just suck it up? Or should I defect and stay at the Four Points for $180 + tax? :)

rwoman likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Hilton and really liked it, but probably would not do so at that price!! The "T" makes it easy to get into the city if you want to stay in Boston. There's an Embassy Suites and a Fairfield that are also pretty close. The HIEX Boston Saugus is about 15-20 minutes away, but they have a shuttle...

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see we're of a mind about the expense. I would just rather funnel those dollars to Dubai or Hong Kong or Zurich rather than my forced overnight. (It may be moot if I can re-route, though finding saver LX C across the water is the reason I wound up with this silly routing to begin with.)

I've done the T schlep before, and would this time if I were staying for 3-4 days, but I'm not.

Thanks for the suggestions.

rwoman likes this.
  4. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really, really like the Embassy Suites myself but the price is totally variable. I've gotten it for $80 some nights.

traveltoomuch and rwoman like this.
  5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Boston (financial district) is 2 T stops + a 5-minute walk away.
    If you're not tied to Hilton, there's lots of stuff. The Comfort Inn
    is pretty nice, the Four Points is ok - both have shuttles.

rwoman likes this.
  6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Hilton, Embassy and Courtyard. They are all good properties, however for convenience, Hilton at Logan can't be beat.

339 though is a lot, I usually get AAA rate less than 249 (cheaper on weekends) or use points.

That said, I got a "hhonors" special points rate at Embassy for a ridiculously low point rate (around 24k points), but not sure if that was just a fluke one-time deal.

rwoman likes this.
  7. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Courtyard, Hyatt, and Hilton. All of them are nice, but I would never spend north of $300 for any of them. Have you considered using points? There is an Suburban Extended Stay hotel at the airport. I checked random dates in May and the rates are reasonable compared to the other Hotels.

rwoman and traveltoomuch like this.
  8. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt Harborside is often available for around the $180 that you mentioned for the Four Points (which is quite far from the airport, its name is rather misleading).

rwoman likes this.
  9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been a frequent guest of the Hampton Inn (before moving to Boston) and have really liked the hotel (plus free shuttle). I could usually find rates in the low $100 range. The Four Points is also almost twice as far from BOS as the Hampton.

rwoman likes this.
  10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Four Points, Hilton, and Embassy Suites -- they're all fine. Using starpoints for the Four Points may deliver good value -- it's a category 2, so only 3000 points on the weekend, 4000 weekdays. The Hilton is clearly the most convenient. The Embassy Suites and Hyatt are also on the "island" with the airport. You'll be taking a shuttle to any/all of them, with the possible exception of the Hilton.

Situations like this just scream for Priceline. I got the Embassy Suites for $53 last March. Use biddingtraveler.com (or perhaps betterbidding.com) to see what hotels others have been getting and at what price. Use your free rebids to get the price close to the priceline minimum. And consider using FatWallet to get cash back on your bid. It looks like the only 4* hotels in the Revere/Logan zone are the Hyatt and Hilton, and you have about five free rebid zones (= 30 rebids; far more than you need).

The other thing I'd normally consider is using a pink "distressed passenger" voucher from Airport Accommodations, but they don't seem to serve Logan, and I'm not sure who else may.

Sean Colahan and rwoman like this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    First -- the hotels are basically all sold out enough that anything I have points in (that'd be Hilton and Starwood) were not selling any rooms on any property for points. That seems to have changed in the last day, though, so I'll be looking into it more.

Here's some of the rates:

Embassy Suites: no rooms available
    Fairfield: $169
    Courtyard: $319
    Hilton Boston (financial): $499
    Comfort Inn: $179
    Hyatt Harborside: $329
    Suburban Extended Stay: $129
    Hampton Inn: $249
    Four Points: $169

Given that staying in a non-Hilton will mean I'll need to make a one-night mattress run later in the year, it might be worth sucking up and staying at the Hampton.

12. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    [gulp] I've found some bizarrely high weekday rates too
    in Boston - at those prices it might make sense to suck
    it up and look inland a ways; maybe the price differential
    would pay for a limo ride or two.

13. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weekends are pretty terrible too. This month is horrible for Boston Hotels. All the collages have their graduations, so everyone needs to put up 100 people.

Nothing anywhere close to downtown has a good rate most of the time this month unfortunately.

I would add that the DoubleTree Bayside has a shuttle apparently and has rates that are all over the board. Everywhere from $149 to $300 depending on the day.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a total of ten hours in BOS, so any time I add to transit comes straight out of the meal and sleep budget, though.

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, problem solved! :D

I decided to check to see if there were any saver fares available, and LX availability had indeed opened up. So I'm now flying ZRH-JFK-SFO instead of ZRH-BOS-SFO. Saves me several hundred bucks and I get home one day earlier, so I'm happy.

I'll still see if there's a better connection that opens up later (or, better yet, a saver nonstop that I'm not going to hold my breath for).